Dog suicide bridge

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-600-dogs-jump-haunted-5941044
Mystery as 600 dogs jump from 'haunted suicide bridge' leaving at least 50 dead
Experts are baffled by the bizarre phenomenon that has seen several hundred pets plunge to the floor

At least 50 dogs have leapt to their deaths from a 50ft 'suicide bridge' - and nobody knows why.

Animal psychologists are baffled by the bizarre phenomenon that has seen up to 600 dogs jump off the bridge for no apparent reason.

Explanations range from the curious canines being over-excited, to ghosts haunting the century-old bridge next to Gothic castle Overtoun House.

Some locals in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, even claim it could be the spirit of the 'White Lady of Overtoun' who has been sighted there for over 100 years.

Screen-Shot-2015-06-24-at-133528.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

Once again, we're back in Scotland for the unusual stuff! I've heard of this bridge before. Video in article, just open link.

So, what's got the dogs jumping off this thing?

Last edited:
Image of White Lady of Overtoun said possibly responsible for the phenomena.

Lady-Overtoun.jpg

I've read about this, it is so sad. :( Perhaps it is ghosts or spirits who are so frightening, that the dogs just become overwhelmed and jump out of tremendous fear?

Dumbarton rock is not too far from Overtoun House , witchcraft was used and it is not unusual to "feel" in the back of the head someone staring at you when no one is around for miles , I have had friends suddenly agitated and start to run and I cannot call them back , I have had to run and catch up and they are anxious to leave and no amount of coaxing changes their mind . I lived for a while in Bearsden which is roughly around a 40 min drive to Overtoun House . If I travelled North West I passed an area known as the Whangie , folklore dictates that the Witches summoned the Devil and in his fury thrashed his tail creating this phenomenon , Friends I have taken there cannot find the entrance and I have quickly entered and re appeared before their eyes . Draw a line North West from this location , approx 5 miles and there is an area known to the locals as the " Witches Cauldron " and from this point they had summoned the Devil .However, in Celtic beliefs Overton Bridge is called a "thin place" where the realms of the living and the dead cross. Others believe that dogs are super sensitive to the spirits and spooked enough by the bridge to take their own lives.

Witchcraft Magazine
» Witchcraft And Wicca
Further reading

Last Updated on Fri, 15 Oct 2010 | Witchcraft And Wicca
Leach, Maria, ed., and Jerome Fried, assoc. ed. Funk & Wag-nall's Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend. New York: Harper & Row, 1972.

Fortress of Dumbarton Legendary fortress at Dumbarton, Scotland, near Glasgow on the Clyde River, created by a band of angry WITCHEs in pursuit of St. Patrick. Around the year 388, the DEVIL became so offended at the piety of St. Patrick that he incited "the whole body of witches in Scotland" against the saint. In an army, the witches attacked St. Patrick, who fled toward the Clyde. At the mouth of the river, he found a little boat, leaped into it and set off for Ireland. The witches were unable to cross running WATER—another folk belief—and in anger, they ripped off a huge chunk of rock from a nearby hill and hurled it after the saint. Their aim was so bad that the rock fell harmlessly to the ground. Later, the rock was turned into a fortress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi and surge
I wonder if it's something electromagnetic that the dogs are picking up on. Or perhaps a sound that is displeasing and they'd like to escape. Or something enticing in smell that brings them over the bridge with the thought that there must be ground right on the other side. Most dogs that are off the leash are hyperactive sorts. Doesn't mean they don't behave it just means they have extra energy- it's the point of off-leash - to exercise the hyperactivity out of them. I have 2 dogs like this, and I've seen them do some pretty stupid things because of a lack of attention erased by distraction.

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
However, in Celtic beliefs Overton Bridge is called a "thin place" where the realms of the living and the dead cross.
That's what I think. And thanks for weighing in here with the knowledge base! ;)

Most dogs that are off the leash are hyperactive sorts. Doesn't mean they don't behave it just means they have extra energy- it's the point of off-leash - to exercise the hyperactivity out of them. I have 2 dogs like this, and I've seen them do some pretty stupid things because of a lack of attention erased by distraction.
Yes, I have dealt with this for years as a Whippet owner. Take a dog with lots of energy, and make it a sight hound, and double trouble! :eek: I had one of mine leap from the car window while I was sitting in a park because it saw a bird to chase! Very dangerous for the dogs!

Reactions: Indigo and Debi
Yes, I have dealt with this for years as a Whippet owner. Take a dog with lots of energy, and make it a sight hound, and double trouble! :eek: I had one of mine leap from the car window while I was sitting in a park because it saw a bird to chase! Very dangerous for the dogs!
The lab is like that with all forms of wildlife. He ran into a tree a while ago and looked at me as if I made him do it. No stupid, that's you. He was so embarrassed lol. :oops:

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
The lab is like that with all forms of wildlife. He ran into a tree a while ago and looked at me as if I made him do it. No stupid, that's you. He was so embarrassed lol. :oops:
LOL Had a dog who liked to chase rabbits...right into the fence. Rabbits always made it thro....not the dog. Always had to go out and unwedge her! Springer Spaniel. :rolleyes: