Do you know basic survival skills?

A modest power inverter is a necessity for me. plug into your canary's cigarette lighter, and you got AC Power to charge a device. Never run a motor indoors!!!
You are full of good advice! :D

Reactions: Maphoo
I do have 5 gallon containers filled with the basics including fire starters and a .22 pistol and ammo( the critter gitter ).Also have a bow and quiver of arrows at the ready .I also keep ready what I call plan B .A full size ford van with rear seats removed .

Reactions: Debi
I do have 5 gallon containers filled with the basics including fire starters and a .22 pistol and ammo( the critter gitter ).Also have a bow and quiver of arrows at the ready .I also keep ready what I call plan B .A full size ford van with rear seats removed .
One must always have a plan B! I like your style, Grinch!

Reactions: Grinchesbro
Winter weather and tornadoes are the only realistic risk here for long term power outages, I'm guessing same with Grinch & Debi too. I do store basic stuff; food, guns, cool flashlights, extra water (20 gal.s), gas (5gal.s) a lake full of fish, state forest full of game, if SHTF. Otherwise wait until the roads open up and find a hotel with electricity and play cards in the lobby.
Maphoo, did you watch a lot of McGiever ? Cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
Winter weather and tornadoes are the only realistic risk here for long term power outages, I'm guessing same with Grinch & Debi too. I do store basic stuff; food, guns, cool flashlights, extra water (20 gal.s), gas (5gal.s) a lake take full of fish, state forest full of game, if SHTF. Otherwise wait until the roads open up and find a hotel with electricity and play cards in the lobby.
Maphoo, did you watch a lot of McGiever ? Cool.
HA! Now that you say that, Maphoo does remind me of McGyver! lol Good catch on that one, Paint!

Reactions: Paintman
As for survival skills, I'm certain that Army basic training and Infantry school helps. It teaches you a handy way to think. :) Storing extra stuff in my truck is my main deal. Getting stuck in a blizzard in the sticks can be dangerous and dangerously boring. In a small space, I carry a small tool kit, food (protein drinks and energy bars), poncho, first aid kit, fold-up shovel, lighter, jumper cables, spool of para-cord, hats, caps, gloves, change of clothes, Army knife, cool flashlight, playing cards and a book. Used all that stuff. One time I got caught in an oncoming tornado. Pulled off the highway and did a 1 mile sprint to a farmhouse. Didn't knock on the front door. Knocked on the cellar. They let me in. Young mother and children. They may have liked a man around, but I was grateful, times like that, life gets reciprocal ......... Still say a prayer for them. Kindness is cool.
When Katrina hit, the after effect was horrible tornadoes in the lower Midwest. During that, I was at Ft. Knox, KY., and they stuck us into Cold War bomb shelters. That is the safest place in the world.;)

Reactions: 7Critter