Do We Get More Conservative With Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
Yes, I know there is the Young Republicans club and other clubs for people who are conservative when they are young. But I have noticed a trend towards increasing conservatism as one ages.

As someone growing up in the Northeast, I was pretty liberal in my thinking. In fact, one of my friends in college had nicknamed me the "bleeding heart" liberal. As I've worked in social services for a while now and see both the good work that I do as well as how people work the system for their own advantage, I am now for cuts to Social Security and other more conservative viewpoints.

I used to think Social Security was only for those who had worked all their lives and silver haired grannies, but did you know that if your child has a speech delay at age 2, you could apply for Social Security for them and get a check each month? Yet those who have worked all their lives and may one day need to apply for this social net will most likely get denied.

One of my friends recently told me he though I was pretty right wing and I had to laugh because I used to keep Air America on 12 hours a day and thought the sun shone out of Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow's asses. Anyway, what about you? Do you think conservatism comes with age and experience?

Reactions: surge and Debi
In my case, most certainly, although to be honest I was never anything that would even approach "bleeding heart". It's easy to be more liberal as a younger person because, for the most part, someone else is paying your way. It isn't until you become an adult responsible for your own survival that you begin to learn exactly what liberalism is. When you realize that all the programs that liberals espouse are paid for by money that is taken from your pocket, you see exactly how unfair the whole idea is. For all the lofty goals and flowery terms used to describe the philosophy, at the core it is a system that takes from one group and gives to another, in an effort to cultivate a loyal base of voters for the Democrat party. Uneducated, unmotivated and taught that government is there to provide for them, very few ever escape the system. The older I get, the more conservative I become.

I agree with Surge. I started out a little bit on the liberal side...hippies were like that. lol But I have noticed most of my friends from then are now very much on the conservative side of the road now.

Reactions: surge
Well you know, they say the older you get the grumpier you become.... so I guess it is possible. HAHA
Don't kill me over here! :D
LOL, any reason in particular you say that? :D

Na -- I just think both sides are kind of grumpy.
The Republicans seem more so at times... especially here in Tennessee. HAHA

I am in the middle.
Oh, I thought you were commenting on my comments yesterday regarding getting rid of this forum. :D:oops:

Reactions: Shadow
Status
Not open for further replies.