Did you...

As kids my mates and I were headbangers and wouldn't mention disco but could be found at them most Friday nights. It's where the girls went so we soon became budding Travoltas, lol.

Many years ago, when I was younger, some friends and I always use to go to the Guildhall square in Peterborough every Saturday with a boombox and do some b-boying (Breakdancing), much to the amusement of passing shoppers. I use to struggle with some of the freezes but got the top and down rocks off to a tee.

These days, 'breakdancing' has a new meaning for me........

Any type of dancing would just break me! ;bg3
Titch! Being a smidge younger you'd have been my heroes if I'd ever seen that at the time and I'm a little sorry I missed it! I blame my parents for taking me into town on days when there was no random Cathedral Square breakdancing! I shall have a word.

Titch! Being a smidge younger you'd have been my heroes if I'd ever seen that at the time and I'm a little sorry I missed it! I blame my parents for taking me into town on days when there was no random Cathedral Square breakdancing! I shall have a word.

LOL!

We use to set the boombox up on the metal spiral staircase under the Guildhall and crack it up. I remember we had a security guard come over from Queensgate once to shut us down as the staff in one of the Cumbergate shops had moaned about the noise.

They got booed at by the public standing around on the Guildhall steps and they did a rapid withdrawal.

You would have been about 11 when this all kicked off :tearsofjoy:

There were a lot of people doing musical events and other stuff at the Guildhall base in the mid to late eighties. I don't know what it is like now as I have not been in Peterborough since 2002. Shanghai Sams (I was actually close friends with the owner's son and had some fantastic times in the DJ stand) and 5th Avenue used to be local haunts of mine.

Happy memories......

I was one of the busiest guys dating wise in high school because I lllllooooovvvvveeeeeddd to dance. And, because I have no rhythm, I was so bad at it. But I’ve never shied away.

I had a friend who was a dance teacher. With great effort, she was able to teach me to almost waltz. So as an adult I’ve been able to almost polka. Nothing is more fun than dancing fast with drunk women.

oh yea. Loved disc too Debi.

I was one of the busiest guys dating wise in high school because I lllllooooovvvvveeeeeddd to dance. And, because I have no rhythm, I was so bad at it. But I’ve never shied away.

I had a friend who was a dance teacher. With great effort, she was able to teach me to almost waltz. So as an adult I’ve been able to almost polka. Nothing is more fun than dancing fast with drunk women.

oh yea. Loved disc too Debi.
I used to love to polka. I remember when they were played at weddings. This doesn’t happen anymore.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I never did. There were still proms but I doubt that they held a candle to an actual dance. Or at least were a far cry from being the same that they used to be.

Reactions: RoseRed
I had a rock band in high school. We played at school dances, local events, pizza joints, parties, etc. We were popular and worked most weekends. For us, dances were gigs only. We would never go to a dance except to work. It just wasn't cool. :cool:

I had a rock band in high school. We played at school dances, local events, pizza joints, parties, etc. We were popular and worked most weekends. For us, dances were gigs only. We would never go to a dance except to work. It just wasn't cool. :cool:
What instrument did you play? This is very Cool Crux!

What instrument did you play? This is very Cool Crux!

I played drums. The band had 5 members and we played mostly blues/rock covers. This was in the SF Bay Area. I also played occasionally with other groups on individual gigs when they needed a drummer.

Reactions: Benway and Debi