Deep question

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I'm taking a look back...like about 40 years. :) Back in my hippie days, I made a promise to myself to look back someday and see if we'd made any progress on the mindset of peace and love. Did our our message back then, our protests, our little peace signs, make a difference to the world at large?

Taking government out of the equation (as we all know they are pretty much war based and who's got the biggest stick), have we as a species made progress on our spiritual selves? Have we, as humans, moved to be a more loving society? (I warned you this was a deep question!!!) Did that "paradigm shift" happen?

What differences do you see from "back in the day" to "who we are now." Good or bad, is mankind moving towards the light? Or are we stuck in the same old rut?

I think the message is getting across more people since were in an advanced digital age. There are quite a few developing countries giving its citizens access to the internet as well.

But it’s kind of the same deal as these motivational speakers that rile up their audience but after the speech people don’t do the thing they want go to. Basically a lot of people talk about love but not enough people are practicing what they preach.

Back in the “hippy days” people put their money where their mouths were and were willing to put themselves in harm’s way to bring peace. Even in China, a man stood In front of a convoy of tanks to stop them. And he acted alone, unafraid of consequence. American hippies were no different.
F55D28F4-EDF4-4A04-9547-883FBCFA32FF.jpeg

Now the only people willing to put themselves in harm’s way are rioters.

The only time you see people standing in solidarity for love and peace are those in war torn countries.

Now, you could put a gun to someone’s head and they’ll drop their convictions without hesitation. Unless of course they were among at least 10 like minded individuals.

TLDR: people hear the message, but nobody’s living that message. And if you threaten someone that’s all it takes to stop them from carrying out their convictions. I think we need to find a way to convince people to actually LIVE THE MESSAGE OF LOVE without compromise, rather than just talk about it.

Seriously, the last time I saw a fearless demonstration was when I was 6 and there was a “No war in Iraq” demonstration in Vancouver, BC. That was almost 17 years ago.

I think the message is getting across more people since were in an advanced digital age. There are quite a few developing countries giving its citizens access to the internet as well.

But it’s kind of the same deal as these motivational speakers that rile up their audience but after the speech people don’t do the thing they want go to. Basically a lot of people talk about love but not enough people are practicing what they preach.

Back in the “hippy days” people put their money where their mouths were and were willing to put themselves in harm’s way to bring peace. Even in China, a man stood In front of a convoy of tanks to stop them. And he acted alone, unafraid of consequence. American hippies were no different.
View attachment 11818

Now the only people willing to put themselves in harm’s way are rioters.

The only time you see people standing in solidarity for love and peace are those in war torn countries.

Now, you could put a gun to someone’s head and they’ll drop their convictions without hesitation. Unless of course they were among at least 10 like minded individuals.

TLDR: people hear the message, but nobody’s living that message. And if you threaten someone that’s all it takes to stop them from carrying out their convictions. I think we need to find a way to convince people to actually LIVE THE MESSAGE OF LOVE without compromise, rather than just talk about it.

Seriously, the last time I saw a fearless demonstration was when I was 6 and there was a “No war in Iraq” demonstration in Vancouver, BC. That was almost 17 years ago.
Charleh, that was an excellent post. Thank you for your take on it.

I think both, some good did come from it, but at the same time we are stuck in the same old rut....
The hippie days of the 60's started a change that had promise, but by the late 60's and early 70's had been compromised by groups such as weather underground, black panthers, black liberation org. And such that brought a militant, violent stage.....
And by then the paradygm shift had became the day of rage in 1972.......which over the next 18 months saw over 1500 bombings across the country leading to the end of those times and the hippy movement with it....
A lot of the ppl participateing in the movement then did go on to become our politician's today and still had a chance to make great changes.....the question is did they follow their cause or did they sell out to greed.

I think both, some good did come from it, but at the same time we are stuck in the same old rut....
The hippie days of the 60's started a change that had promise, but by the late 60's and early 70's had been compromised by groups such as weather underground, black panthers, black liberation org. And such that brought a militant, violent stage.....
And by then the paradygm shift had became the day of rage in 1972.......which over the next 18 months saw over 1500 bombings across the country leading to the end of those times and the hippy movement with it....
A lot of the ppl participateing in the movement then did go on to become our politician's today and still had a chance to make great changes.....the question is did they follow their cause or did they sell out to greed.
Thank you, Paul. Once again, excellent observations. And yeah...a lot of them sold out.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I was never expecting communes and peace on earth. I was just hoping the general idea of a more loving society might come through.

I think there are probably more people hoping for a peaceful earth and society than we may notice. Sometimes I think the focus is on the bad stuff out there because the good stuff doesn't pull headlines. :)

I was never expecting communes and peace on earth. I was just hoping the general idea of a more loving society might come through.

I think there are probably more people hoping for a peaceful earth and society than we may notice. Sometimes I think the focus is on the bad stuff out there because the good stuff doesn't pull headlines. :)

I think a lot of good did come from it, a lot of ppl took notice and did change....... And I think you are right, to much focus on the bad stuff, we do create our own reality and if all we focus on is the bad then that is what we will
"create" for the future.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
I think things are much better on an interpersonal level. By that I mean how people treat each other in public and jobs. Of course I know prejudices still rage, however I believe it’s much improved. 40 years ago racist acts and attitudes were commonly spoken everywhere. Biracial children were not accepted at all. I think peiple are much more accepting of differences. This includes gay and lesbian rights too. We have a long way to go but seeing mixed couples on tv and in movies is a huge change. Now we have women bringing to light their abuses in the work place. Animal sensitivity is on the rise too. I think much of the credit can be given to the rise of the internet. People having knowledge at their fingertips.

Please don’t think I’m sugarcoating the problems still present in society. However i think the average person is much more accepting of differences in people.

Unfortunately, I see the opposite. On the surface, people seem more tolerant. However, that is just for show, imo. Underneath, prejudices are WORSE. I hear it from customers all the time. I think they must think all white people think like themselves. I also see it in almost every retail setting I have visited.

And it is just not white people. I have black people complaining about "most" whites and Mexicans. And all complain about Asians.

Don't get me started on talk about Native Americans.

Sorry, I think things are worse...

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
Mixed bag on all levels. Here is what I see locally and nationally. Overall consciousness is raised. People are surface nicer. The culture much courser. Racial issues are infinitely better , yet self segregation is the word in the winds of today.
Diversity is the new religion. But without unity, it is cultural suicide. I think too many social pendulums have swing into the scary dangerous levels of rediculosness. People get hurt, pendulums swing back, without regard and more get hurt. Talking about next summer with potential city riots that could surpass LA, Bronx, and Detroit.
What Noble said.