Customer Service

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
What’s your worst customer service story, either as the customer or as the employee?

omni-channel.jpeg

What’s your worst customer service story, either as the customer or as the employee?

View attachment 26513

While working for Nextel as a Customer Service Technician, a customer who had dropped his phone in something liquid came in for service. I opened the phone saw the red indicators had turned red( alerting to liquid damage) as well as rust and corrosion on the circuit boards. The customer had a repair plan( if repairable) as well as insurance when damaged beyond repair.
I spoke with the customer and actually showed him his phone and damage. He immediately demanded a replacement phone on the spot. I patiently and politely explained what he needed to do regarding the issue. The company was even willing to ;et him call the insurance company from the office and provide a loaner phone( not his 400 dollar model) until the insurance company mailed him his replacement. He snatched the phone out of my hand, screaming at me and threw it at me and proceeded to punch a few times. 3 managers immediately grabbed him and quickly took him outside as there were other customers and we didn't want collateral damage. As this happened I was told to call the police. The managers had to physically hold this guy down until police arrived. Then I had to go to court a week later :confused: :openmouth:

My husband spent the last 10 years of his career in the paint industry for a large paint manufacturing company as their "problem solver." Now, this translates to complaint department no matter how you pretty it up. He would travel to a site of a complaint, test, check the paint and also the application used, etc. etc. So, he was on the road quite a bit. Not sure if any of you are familiar with painters in general, but they can use some interesting language when on the job...lol

One day we were sharing a car while he was in office. I went to pick him up and all the guys in the office where huddled around outside hubs office door. They warned me "don't go in there right now!" Well, don't tell me not to do something because of course I'm gonna do it...lol I walked in to hear words that made my ears bleed as he was "talking" to a painter on the phone. There was yelling, screaming, and a pencil thrown during the time I was in there. About 5 minutes later, out he walks, calm as can be. When his boss asked if he had resolved the issue, his reply was "Sure! No problem! He finally admitted he put it on wrong but wants us to replace all the paint. Told him not happening, but I threw in a discount on his next purchase from us, a couple of brushes and told him to bring me in that sprayer that's giving him trouble so we can have a look."

Obviously, some customer service techniques are "different" in how you can come to terms.

I agree Debi, every industry is different as are the people :)

Reactions: Paintman
If I get friendly service from a shop I'll recommend them to friends,if I'm spoken to rudely I'll never shop there again.When working in my stepdad's golf pro shop a guy threatened to smash my face in because he didn't want to pay $2 for a hire buggy,luckily dad overheard and the guy apologized to me after he was threatened, lol.I was only 15 and the guy was around 40.I feel sorry for shop assistants now.

Not sure if any of you are familiar with painters in general, but they can use some interesting language when on the job...lol
Um...”Paintman”. And I have to read his posts with one eye covered to protect myself from the colorful language...and the recipes too...and, the cat photos.

Um...”Paintman”. And I have to read his posts with one eye covered to protect myself from the colorful language...and the recipes too...and, the cat photos.
Uh....hmmm....
You mean mildly inappropriate stuff ? Surely not me, kind sir.
118138036_2837738756437665_7746713319884184005_n.jpg

I'm my customer service dept., and spend most of my time in the care and management of Karen type customers, and painters who would fit right in on Guns & Rose's tour jet.
Collections was above all the worst.

Contractors have few recourse, outside of leins and courts. You see, somewhere down the line, they made doing loan shark mafia tactics illegal.

But a well timed lein ..with a deadbeat home builder, and a family sitting in a title office -two days before Christmas - can be a thing of beauty.
Evilhomer.jpg

My son-in-law worked as a shift supervisor for a customer service support contractor that represented a number of different US companies. If a call got to him, it was already a contentious situation. The easiest callers to deal with were those who either used vulgarities or threatened legal action. He hung up on the potty mouths, and politely told the potential litigants to notify the company legal office through their lawyer.

The worst ones to handle were those who remained civil but made ridiculous demands to resolve their issue. He had callers who would insist on upgraded replacements, plus gift cards and/or credit far in excess of the item initially purchased. He also hated those who were willing to stay on the call for hours, trying to wear him down.

While working as a service technician for a major US company, a customer in a local hospital called with problems. While working with him over the phone, he suddenly blurted out, "How would feel if your mother was in this hospital?"