Crows may be self-aware

Carlos Castaneda put a lot of emphasis on crows in his books, he certainly made them out to be self-aware. Then again, Castaneda and his writings have been largely discredited.
I knew some guy who went looking for don jaun his teacher in 1974. I read his book and think some of it is true and some is sort of true. I always found his stories interesting and somewhat eerie. To read of what happened to the women who followed him was a wake up call . Strange world

Reactions: Debi
I know over here crows have learnt to eat poisonous introduced cane toads by flipping them over and eating the unprotected belly where almost all other animals die from eating the toads.Crows are bad for sheep at lambing season,pecking out the eyes of the lambs and downed ewes.If you are unarmed crows will sit close by and almost laugh at the sheep farmers,go out with a rifle and they are invisible,their senses are almost paranormal.Great animals.

,their senses are almost paranormal.Great animals.

they are the eyes of god...……. or at least in some beliefs, it is said they watched over the earth and informed ODIN of the state of the world.... ravens have long been key figures in many beliefs and traditions... might just be something too it,

they are the eyes of god...……. or at least in some beliefs, it is said they watched over the earth and informed ODIN of the state of the world.... ravens have long been key figures in many beliefs and traditions... might just be something too it,
They are something special,I'd believe that.

My family of crows dropped by today for some raisin bread I didnt eat. it wasnt moldy or anything just tasted like dust. Anyway Jackson ( one of the crows we named) was there. He sat on the fence about six feet from my window and looked at me from the side. Man he /she is cute. That bird is smart and huge. One day I saw jackson flying over head with a frog in his mouth. I almost did a double take as it was so wierd looking I wished I had my camera. My mom was even more superstitious than me if thats possible. She would look down on my feeding of crows as she was brought up to believe they were somewhat evil. I never believed her and toward the end of her life she would ask me about them and laugh at the crazy stuff they did. The trick is you ahve to really spend time watching them as a casual glance makes them seem very unremarkable. I have never seen a raven and want to someday. Well I saw one in the zoo/animal prison.

Reactions: Paulm and ozentity
Has anyone on here ever seen a baby crow in the wild? I had some nesting on my old property and watched them navigate their way to the nest with food,taking a very careful route.I knew the huge tree but never could see the nest and never saw the fledglings fly out.

Well I saw one in the zoo/animal prison.
Lol,that's what I generally think of zoos.I know they are trying to save species but they just need to leave them alone and they will come back.As for species with little wild habitat left I can't see why they want to keep them going,is it our own guilt?If they have no habitat left I think its cruel to breed these animals.

Reactions: Walking Goose
Has anyone on here ever seen a baby crow in the wild? I had some nesting on my old property and watched them navigate their way to the nest with food,taking a very careful route.I knew the huge tree but never could see the nest and never saw the fledglings fly out.
Yes. But they arent that little when mom and dad let them go stretch their wings. I have seen about six over the years that I can verify they were the families that came to our house. Thats over about 20 yearss too. I think they have about 2 babies. Thats what Ive noticed. The funny thing is that they are about 2/3 the size of mom and they are outside sitting on the ground and she is feeding them still. Or, they have a certain cry that you notice as its so noticable and not heard elswehere that Ive heard. Then mom still feeds them . I think they hang around for about a year or two but I dont know.What is funny is that they are so big and crying like a baby and mom is feeding these big birds which are flying all over the place on their own. Maybe she fed them in front of us because she trusted us but I bet in the wild that would be invitation for another animal to see a possible meal. They really love each other and one time some hawk killed the oldest crow about 8 years before i moved. The others hung around him and cawed and cawed. Finally I buried him with a pinch of tobacco which givs the spirit of the creature recognition and the honor that is due it. I used to carry tobacco with me years ago in case i found a four legged or winged one that needed its soul to rest. I dont know if it really helped them but it helped me to not feel so bad after seeing that bird for about 7 years almost daily. I am not against zoos. I just feel bad everytime I go and see the animals looking at me. I knew an animal communicator once who was actually pretty talented. I asked her to teach me and she did one afternoon. I dont remember what it was as I didnt feel I had the gift clear enough.

Reactions: ozentity and Lynne
Birds are so smart, they no doubt have their own thoughts. I really believe most animals do. People are arrogant to think we are the only reasoning beings. I think animals live in the moment and don’t worry about the past or future but they clearly have thoughts and personalities.