Codename: Wolf

Chester Desmond

Reaction score
This is the story about Yugoslav air-force pilots who were allowed to act aggressively against any unidentified object that flies above 3,000 meters. Before engaging these "objects", they would be required to say only one word "wolf".

In the night (can't find the exact date, could be found with a little bit of digging up) of 1987, a pilot instructor Dragutin Prepust was performing a routine flying route above Western Adriatic Sea with his student, when, around midnight, above small area called Bakanjci, the student spoke to pilot Prepust saying "Comrade, what's that, on our left?" - Pilot Prepust, seeing the orange-like ellipse which moved slowly towards them. In order to avoid a potential crash, they take their plain downwards, when the orange shape makes quick (around 900km/h Prepust later said) maneuvers over the sky. They were at the height of over 3,000 meters. Pilot Dragutin Prepust contacted the air control in Zagreb - they told him "Nobody else is on the radar. You are alone." Prepust kept insisting, and flight control iz Ljubljana was contacted next, only for them to give the same confirmation. Prepust was determined to contact military in Belgrade, their radars revealed the same thing, Prepust and his student were all alone above Western Adriatic Sea.

Afterwards, Prepust ordered his student not to report anything they saw, and that it was nothing more than an illusion of some kind. Unknown to Prepust, military agents were already waiting on the ground of the airport, who then separated them, demanding both of them to write an official report about what they saw. Later on, Prepust was told by his experienced colleagues that there was no pilot with over 200 hours who had not witnessed something similar.

It's the year 1975, few days after the New Year, Zvonko Jurjevic, then a lieutenant colonel, remembers several cases of UFO's appearing above Yugoslavia. While on their routine nightly flights, pilots kept reporting a ball which produced light, light which changed in color, from white to purple. For several days, Yugoslav pilots had tried capturing or downing those UFO's, without success. lieutenant colonel Jurjevic describes the UFO he personally followed above Montenegro (then a republic of Yugoslavia). Jurjevic goes on to say that the UFO flew away from him, towards Dubrovnik, at the speed of app. 9,000km/h.

For a month this chase of cat and mouse would go on, until Yugoslav Airforce decided to set a trap for UFO's, allowing twelve of their planes "Seagull (Galeb)" to fly, and as soon as they spot UFO's, go back down, only so MIG-21's can try and down UFO's.

On their first attempt, after 20 minutes of flight, all twelve crews of Seagull reported seeing a UFO, above Cetinje and Danilovgrad (Montenegro). Pilots Mamic and Zindarcic were sent with their MIG-21's to down a UFO.

Both Mamic and Zindarcic confirmed the sighting of UFO, and were speeding up to catch it. For the first time, UFO was spotted on the radar set on Prevlaka (near Dubrovnik). No matter how much faster MIG's were trying to go, they were not shortening the distance between them and the UFO, which was now going for the open sea. It's important to note that sometimes radar picked up UFO's, sometimes they didn't. At one point, seen on radar, and testified by both Mamic and Zindaric, the UFO suddenly disappeared, and instead of being in front of them, was on their tail. Then disappearing.

Lieutenant colonel Jurjevic goes on to say that secret service of Yugoslavia kept telling them there were no UFO's, that they do not exist, and that they were being spied on by a "enemy country". Of course, pilots were not allowed to publicly discuss these topics. Only after Yugoslavia was no more, destroyed in a bloody and idiotic civil war, these pilots came out and said what they saw. From simple military staff, up to the highest ranks of airforce.

I apologize for not offering any documented backing for this story. I'm lacking time, but I wanted to make a quick post. I'll definitely post more about this in the next couple of days, backed by documentation.

I'll quickly post several quotes:

"The object looked like a glowing orb, very well visible, maybe ten times lighter than the brightest star at that moment. Color constantly changed: white, yellow, light red, orange, again white, and so on. It appeared from nowhere, unexpectedly. It was attracting attention on purpose,” Jurjevic recalled.

“I only just stabilized the flight somewhere over Cetinje, when suddenly the object flashed over Budva, and Lieutenant Machec saw it above Niksic. I ordered Machec to stay in place, and took a course parallel to the Adriatic coast, where I tried to establish at what distance the object was: it turned out that it was at about ten kilometers,” the ex commander said.

“However, it did not allow me to get any closer to it. I reduced the speed — the distance was the same. I increased the speed – it was still the same ten kilometers,” Jurjevic recalled the astonishing chase.

Are you writing a book?

Ok, did you write what you've posted above or are you just posting someone else's work? If the latter, who's the author? With the level of detail presented, it certainly reads like a book, or maybe a magazine article. I'm curious as to who wrote it and for what purpose.

Reactions: Lynne and TonyM
Ok, did you write what you've posted above or are you just posting someone else's work? If the latter, who's the author? With the level of detail presented, it certainly reads like a book, or maybe a magazine article. I'm curious as to who wrote it and for what purpose.

I wrote that post based on the information I gathered from different sources, all of them available online.

For example: Most people I mentioned gave interviews in a Croatian radio show, and for the tv show called "On the Edge of Science (Na rubu znanosti).

So, it is written by me, but details I mention are gathered from different sources. Only the quoted parts are directly taken from other places.

I wrote that post based on the information I gathered from different sources, all of them available online.

For example: Most people I mentioned gave interviews in a Croatian radio show, and for the tv show called "On the Edge of Science (Na rubu znanosti).

So, it is written by me, but details I mention are gathered from different sources. Only the quoted parts are directly taken from other places.

I see. So what is there about this specific story that interests you? In the big picture, it's not really much different than any number of documented incidents around the world involving military aircraft failing to close on an unknown craft, going back to the late 1940s. To your knowledge did the Yugoslavs ever fire on such an object?

I see. So what is there about this specific story that interests you? In the big picture, it's not really much different than any number of documented incidents around the world involving military aircraft failing to close on an unknown craft, going back to the late 1940s. To your knowledge did the Yugoslavs ever fire on such an object?

The topic of UFO's being documented and seen/followed by pilots in itself interests me. One set in Yugoslavia caught my eye because it's set in a region not mentioned in UFO stories as much as USA for example. I just wanted to share another interesting UFO story.

I don't think Yugoslav pilots ever fired on UFO's, but one MIG was taken down. I don't remember the facts very well as this is a different story, but I think that pilot even died. I can check the info and post that as well.

To come back to the original post - Another fact which might be of interest:

Pilots I previously mentioned said that UFO would appear whenever they inform the airport command that they do not see it, and it went away whenever they were about to engage. As if it understood and was playing with the pilots.

I've heard both Paul Stonehill and Bill Birnes tell a story of a Soviet MiG "shot down" by a UFO, but I don't put much credence in the story. Not only was it historically inaccurate, but it sounded remarkably similar to the Thomas Mantell incident that occurred at about the same time in the US.

Last edited:
Incident of PanAdria (named after the airplane company), was a incident in which an airplane was followed by a UFO while flying over Yugoslavia.

Pilot chose to alert officials at the closest airport at Surcin. Plain continued its journey, followed by two fighter planes. UFO returned, and Yugoslavia then sent four MiG's at the UFO.

UFO went away and was followed by two MiG's. Sometimes later, both MiG's crashed, with one pilot found dead.

This is just a quick retelling, I'll post in more detail tomorrow, but there are witnesses for everything before and after MiG's began their chase. There is also documentation about the death of the pilot a the crash of both MiG's - Just stating that the pilot died and that MiG's were down.

So we do not have any info on what happened in the chase.

Serbian government owns those documents but refuses to release them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne