Christmas traditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
What are some of the Christmas traditions that you observe in your family? Almost anything can become traditional, whether it's as common as decorating your tree on the same day each year, or as blackout inducing as a Clark Griswold lighting display.

Typically, our tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving, as I'm sure is the norm for many families around the country, and the kids still help their mom decorate it. On the more unique side, I have a ceramic Santa and Mrs Claus, about eight inches high, that belonged originally to my great-grandmother. It has adorned a mantle or tabletop in my family each Christmas since she bought it.

We have one tradition around here that is a must. My grandmother made one of those ceramic trees many years ago. It must be displayed yearly! We promised her to do so when she gave it to us, and I've honored that every year, even if I did no other decoration....and there's been a few years of THAT, too.

There were a few years when two of my boys stilled lived at home that my yard was lit up enough to land a 747. I let them loose one year and it just kept growing year after year for awhile! As did my electric bill. I can seriously say Clark Griswold would have been proud! :D

Oh! Almost forgot...cookies. I'm up to my elbows in cookies! Tradition dictates I must make dozens of them.

Reactions: Naked Apple
My tradition is always putting up the Nativity set whether or not I put up the tree or not. I also used to make dozens of cookies when I lived at home, but now I don't.

Reactions: surge
Don't let Santa get a hold of those, or he won't complete his appointed rounds... :eek:
The kids at one house would get quite a shock, though, when they went to see what was under the tree and found Santa playing video games on their new X-Box, chugging a 2 litre Mountain Dew and munching his third bag of Doritos. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.