Bizzare Military Encounters

I've read many of those, or similar stories, previously. I'm a bit skeptical of the SEA story because the guy relating it ended it by saying his squad was never debriefed, nor was a report filled. I would think they would have to account for the expended munitions (probably a few hundred rounds of rifle and machine gun ammo, plus the demolition charges used to seal the cave) from the patrol, including what they were used for and where. Paulm? Stevedog? Paintman?

My former brother-in-law took basic training at Ft Sill, OK. He told me when they went out on field exercises, the trainees were not issued live ammo. The NCOs leading them always carried a loaded mag or two, however, in case they came across bears, bobcats, mountain lions, or Bigfeetz.

Reactions: Lynne
This was a long article and a fun read. I don't know what to make of the stories having little to know military knowledge. It would be interesting to actually see the witnesses tell the stories on video so we could get a better feel for their stories.

I've read many of those, or similar stories, previously. I'm a bit skeptical of the SEA story because the guy relating it ended it by saying his squad was never debriefed, nor was a report filled. I would think they would have to account for the expended munitions (probably a few hundred rounds of rifle and machine gun ammo, plus the demolition charges used to seal the cave) from the patrol, including what they were used for and where. Paulm? Stevedog? Paintman?

i have my doubts concerning 99% of all the stories ive seen that claimed military involvement. i agree, that much ammo being spent and then closing a cave with explosives would not have gone not being reported or debriefed.... tunnels and caves were commonly used by the enemy combatants in that region/conflict, to not report or be debriefed on a possible enemy cave system that could have housed 1000's of enemy soldiers would not have happened.
most people dont know the standard practices or SOP used in the military, things such as, 24hrs before a mission/patrol, the unit/team will be put into isolation, where they will be briefed on what the mission is, the location, the rally points, equipment load out, etc...., after the briefing the unit/team remains in isolation from all others so that no info is leaked out and the mission is not jeopardized in any way. granted, SOP can be different for different units or missions, i was LRS. but the security of missions is tight for all units.....yes equipment, load out, ammo is accounted for. not to mention any contact is usually called in while the bullets are still flying...lol.......after the mission/patrol, upon return, you are debriefed upon arrival to the rear operating base....
My former brother-in-law took basic training at Ft Sill, OK. He told me when they went out on field exercises, the trainees were not issued live ammo. The NCOs leading them always carried a loaded mag or two, however, in case they came across bears, bobcats, mountain lions, or Bigfeetz.
regular training, maneuvers, etc.... on base in the conus. live ammo is only issued when on live fire ranges. weapons are kept in the armory and must be signed out. you have a weapons card/ID with your personal issued weapons systems. ammo is kept in the ammo depots off range. and is highly kept track of and inventoried...all the way down to spent casings.
most of the stories claiming to be military have so many holes in the storylines i am very skeptical of them to be true.... and then the fact of knowing people in places where if they were to be true they could be verified to an extent......;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne
i have my doubts concerning 99% of all the stories ive seen that claimed military involvement. i agree, that much ammo being spent and then closing a cave with explosives would not have gone not being reported or debriefed.... tunnels and caves were commonly used by the enemy combatants in that region/conflict, to not report or be debriefed on a possible enemy cave system that could have housed 1000's of enemy soldiers would not have happened.
most people dont know the standard practices or SOP used in the military, things such as, 24hrs before a mission/patrol, the unit/team will be put into isolation, where they will be briefed on what the mission is, the location, the rally points, equipment load out, etc...., after the briefing the unit/team remains in isolation from all others so that no info is leaked out and the mission is not jeopardized in any way. granted, SOP can be different for different units or missions, i was LRS. but the security of missions is tight for all units.....yes equipment, load out, ammo is accounted for. not to mention any contact is usually called in while the bullets are still flying...lol.......after the mission/patrol, upon return, you are debriefed upon arrival to the rear operating base....

regular training, maneuvers, etc.... on base in the conus. live ammo is only issued when on live fire ranges. weapons are kept in the armory and must be signed out. you have a weapons card/ID with your personal issued weapons systems. ammo is kept in the ammo depots off range. and is highly kept track of and inventoried...all the way down to spent casings.
most of the stories claiming to be military have so many holes in the storylines i am very skeptical of them to be true.... and then the fact of knowing people in places where if they were to be true they could be verified to an extent......;)
Thanks Paul, didn't think the story made any sense.

Reactions: Paulm
This is what he said about a report:

"There was little discussion of the incident and we were never debriefed – so I know the sergeant never filed a report. Then again, if he did, it was kept quiet by the brass."

Note: I'm not arguing. Just quoting what the man said. :)

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm
This is what he said about a report:

"There was little discussion of the incident and we were never debriefed – so I know the sergeant never filed a report. Then again, if he did, it was kept quiet by the brass."

Note: I'm not arguing. Just quoting what the man said. :)
Yeah, it does make the guy look even less credible by saying he  knows a report was never filed, then saying, but if it was......
Kind of like telling a police officer, "I  know I wasn't speeding, but if I was......"

As I think I've mentioned before, I had a good friend (Army veteran, retired newspaper man and licenced private investigator) who spent the last years of his life making sure veterans got grave markers and exposing Stolen Valor military posers. He said those guys usually could rattle off hardware, basic tactical, and historical information, but tripped themselves up by a total lack of knowledge of the mundane, day-to-day stuff that never makes it into TV/movies/novels. Funniest (or saddest) example was a guy who claimed to have been a decorated Army SEA combat veteran, but didn't know what an orderly room was. I also liked the USN poser who said said there were no "midrats" on his ship, in fact he'd never seen a rat on any part of the ship.

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
Yeah, it does make the guy look even less credible by saying he  knows a report was never filed, then saying, but if it was......
Kind of like telling a police officer, "I  know I wasn't speeding, but if I was......"

It's a common turn of phrase.

"I know I didn't put my keys on the desk, but if I did, someone must have taken them." etc

But, you're probably right about it being unlikely to be a true account. If the brass wanted to cover it up, they probably would have ordered the men not to speak of it and the witness surely would have mentioned that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
I really enjoyed reading the point of view from veterans, thanks guys. Your knowledge is priceless, and I am happy to think these things probably didn't happen.

Reactions: Paulm
As I think I've mentioned before, I had a good friend (Army veteran, retired newspaper man and licenced private investigator) who spent the last years of his life making sure veterans got grave markers and exposing Stolen Valor military posers. He said those guys usually could rattle off hardware, basic tactical, and historical information, but tripped themselves up by a total lack of knowledge of the mundane, day-to-day stuff that never makes it into TV/movies/novels. Funniest (or saddest) example was a guy who claimed to have been a decorated Army SEA combat veteran, but didn't know what an orderly room was. I also liked the USN poser who said said there were no "midrats" on his ship, in fact he'd never seen a rat on any part of the ship.
the mundane and common phrases are what trips up 90% of them.....like you said, not the stuff that is seen on TV or movies, but the everyday, unit specific things that most people dont know about. even down to the way they carry themselves or the words they choose while in conversation..... the things that just "stick" with you after leaving the military goes a long way too..... I always have my jump wings on me in some capacity. just habit... they are pinned on my holster...lol.... i have a challenge coin in my wallet.... hilarious when someone makes a claim of AIRBORNE, or SF but has no clue what a challenge coin is when i pull it out..... I get free car tags, one veteran tag and one theatre tag. but you would be surprised at how many times ive heard the excuse of " oh i lost my 214 or all my records so cant do that now".... i answer with "its easy to get replacements from the department of veterans affairs".......lol.... or when someone says they have no pictures of their time in.... man, ive got a trunk load of pics from all over the place....ive got pics ive never even went back through and seen....lol.........

Reactions: Lynne and Duke