Ban lifted on Human/animal hybrids

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

A Ban on Human/Animal Hybrids Has Been Lifted
The National Institute of Health recently lifted a moratorium on the creation of human/animal hybrids, which are known as chimeras. While meddling human and animal DNA could have the capacity to help with things like organ transplants and disease research, many people seem to be taking issue with the nebulous ethics surrounding chimera creation.

Why don't they ever count spider goats? They've been around long before any hybrid/chimera ban was lifted. I'd really like to know all of the hidden creatures in locked away labs around the world. This stuff has been going on for a looong time.

IMG_2137.JPG

My personal favorite rendition of the spider goat.

IMG_2136.JPG

The true boring look of a spider goat.

"The goats with spider genes and silk in their milk. Prof Randy Lewis shows Adam Rutherford genetically modified goats at a farm at Utah State University, US, which produce large quantities of a spider silk that is among the strongest substances known to man."

The article below opens up more testing on the following concept. I don't think I'd be in line as the first to try, but if it could somehow work with no kinks...wow.

Human Organs Grown In Animals? Pancreas Transplant Could Bring Relief To Millions With Diabetes Within 12 Months, Say Japanese Scientists
By Chris Weller On Friday, June 21, 2013 - 10:10

10202.jpg

Human organs could be grown in animals within a year, Japanese scientists say, giving relief to "millions of people with diabetes" and those with other malfunctioning organs.Photo: Flicker, Vicky TGAW

Japan is making waves around the world as the country's government appoints a panel of experts and scientists to head the effort of growing human organs in animals.

The scientists say mostly pigs will be involved in the process at first, which will take human stem cells and implant them in the embryo of a pig, followed by implanting that embryo in the pig's womb. Scientists say they've already developed the technique to perform this procedure — and that they've tested it on rats and mice. They now need the government's permission to implant the embryo into an animal, a process that will take upwards of a year to finalize.

Many diseases that humans face because of failing organs could potentially be eradicated if the implant proves successful. The scientists will begin their tests by growing a pancreas, as they say it is a relatively easy organ to create. For people suffering from type 1 diabetes, a new pancreas could mean a rehabilitated life. People with type 2 diabetes would not be helped by a new pancreas due to the body's inability to process insulin, as opposed to merely not producing it in type 1.

Human Organs Grown In Animals? Pancreas Transplant Could Bring Relief To Millions With Diabetes Within 12 Months, Say Japanese Scientists

Many diseases that humans face because of failing organs could potentially be eradicated if the implant proves successful. The scientists will begin their tests by growing a pancreas, as they say it is a relatively easy organ to create. For people suffering from type 1 diabetes, a new pancreas could mean a rehabilitated life. People with type 2 diabetes would not be helped by a new pancreas due to the body's inability to process insulin, as opposed to merely not producing it in type 1.
If they can confine this to medical purposes, like the pancreas, I can see the value. As a grandmother of a T1D, and having a dear friend with it named Mokey, I would consider this a proper usage of the science. The problems I foresee are self limiting this to a medical purpose and the military running wild with it.

Reactions: 7Critter and Mokey
If they can confine this to medical purposes, like the pancreas, I can see the value. As a grandmother of a T1D, and having a dear friend with it named Mokey, I would consider this a proper usage of the science. The problems I foresee are self limiting this to a medical purpose and the military running wild with it.
The Soviet Union went wild with it apparently near the end of WW2. They created a chimpanzee/human chimera . Intelligent and obeying as a human with a 80-100IQ level, with the rage and strength of a chimp.

I hope this is used only for good and doesn't end up crossing Ethical and moral lines.

Reactions: Debi and 7Critter