Are some Cryptids Tulpas?

i think that slenderman, the rake, and a few others are just modern urban legends easily spread by the internet. kinda like the legends and "ghost stories" we all shared in our youth. not sure i would go as far as saying they are actual tulpas though. or have any physical abilities whatsoever, just more of active imaginations or the desire to see something strongly enough to be mis-led.
Dogmen i think are just another more modern term for werewolves, the legends have been around for centuries and this is just the modern versions. the moon has never played a part in the werewolf ability to transform and silver as well as iron and a few other elements or herbs has always been a part of different ways to ward off evil, so also not just related to the werewolf phenomena.
Bigfoot is similar, in that it can be related to the native american legends and stories, whether real or not i dont know, but i would still not think Tulpa before just a "mass hysteria" or "hypnosis" type answer. when ppl get in unfamiliar areas or situations they become hyper alert, if not controlled that can lead to fear taking over and causing everyday common sounds or sights to morph into your darkest fears or imagination.

i think that slenderman, the rake, and a few others are just modern urban legends easily spread by the internet. kinda like the legends and "ghost stories" we all shared in our youth. not sure i would go as far as saying they are actual tulpas though. or have any physical abilities whatsoever, just more of active imaginations or the desire to see something strongly enough to be mis-led.
Dogmen i think are just another more modern term for werewolves, the legends have been around for centuries and this is just the modern versions. the moon has never played a part in the werewolf ability to transform and silver as well as iron and a few other elements or herbs has always been a part of different ways to ward off evil, so also not just related to the werewolf phenomena.
Bigfoot is similar, in that it can be related to the native american legends and stories, whether real or not i dont know, but i would still not think Tulpa before just a "mass hysteria" or "hypnosis" type answer. when ppl get in unfamiliar areas or situations they become hyper alert, if not controlled that can lead to fear taking over and causing everyday common sounds or sights to morph into your darkest fears or imagination.
I agree with all this totally. I believe Tulpas are a very individual or close group creation.

Reactions: Paulm
I believe Tulpas are a very individual or close group creation.
i agree, and think "Tulpa" itself would be the wrong description for this phenomena, if its the case of them being some type of "thought form" i think they would fall somewhere between that and the poltergeist definition, a tulpa is a conscience creation with purpose, a poltergeist is an uncontrolled energy projection from psychic abilities, which kinda fits this more in a way....... yeah, i dunno, im thinking too hard on this now i think..lol

Reactions: ozentity and Benway
This reminds me of the TV show Supernatural where they had an episode about this very thing.

In case you don't know, Supernatural was kind of like a cross between X-Files and Scooby Doo. It followed two brothers who drive back and forth across the US looking for unexplained things and solving them by killings/destroying whatever creature, ghost or demon was causing it. Each season had an overarching storyline but most episodes followed the typical monster-of-the-week formula.

In this particular episode they find a website dedicated to a haunted house called the Hell House. The brothers show up to dispatch the ghost but discover it doesn't follow the "rules" that every other ghost in the show does. As they continue to research the ghost keeps changing in unexpected ways. Eventually they figure out that there are thousands of people visiting the website and in the chatrooms people are adding their own twists and details to the legend and the ghost is changing in response. That's when they decide that it's actually a tulpa formed by the belief of everyone visiting the website and not a ghost. So the brothers create their own legend about "the only way to kill this ghost" and put it online so that people will believe it and they can destroy it.

It's an interesting concept to me because I have always been very curious about tuplas and thought forms. Though it's hard to study such a thing as a mass created tulpa would look a lot like other forms of mass hysteria.

It's an interesting concept to me because I have always been very curious about tuplas and thought forms. Though it's hard to study such a thing as a mass created tulpa would look a lot like other forms of mass hysteria.
it is an interesting concept, Tulpas, Poltergiest, thougt forms, etc.. and seeing the different ideology from the many cultures who have a variation of such. whether it be a Tibetan tulpa created from energy or a Jewish golem created from a physical method and given "life".... im not sure what i actually believe about this, (ppl from Prague may be able to fill me in better...lol) but it is an interesting path

Reactions: ozentity
im thinking too hard on this now i think..lol
Don't hurt yourself there, Paul! lol

I've noticed that the author of this article, Nick Redfern, has taken a turn into the John Keel camp of late. He pretty much thinks all paranormal activity is mind based and created. Can't say I see it his way.

Reactions: Paulm and ozentity
'The Black Eyed Children would nearly always appear to be in the 11 to 14 age range. They would mostly wear black hoodies. Their skin looked pale and, as some suggested, not unlike plastic.'
I have a radical suggestion for the early BEC reports: 11-14 year olds! I don't remember any of the people having kids or being teachers. That does sound a lot like 11-14 year olds at the time.
Edit: 'There was something else, too: that the BEC – from the early days to today – don’t seem to be fully self-aware. If at all, even. It’s as if they’re on some kind of crazy, continuous loop, playing the same bizarre (and sinister) game over and over again. And they have a knack of vanishing in high-speed fashion.'
I rest my case. ;)

Last edited:
This reminds me of the TV show Supernatural where they had an episode about this very thing.

In case you don't know, Supernatural was kind of like a cross between X-Files and Scooby Doo. It followed two brothers who drive back and forth across the US looking for unexplained things and solving them by killings/destroying whatever creature, ghost or demon was causing it. Each season had an overarching storyline but most episodes followed the typical monster-of-the-week formula.

In this particular episode they find a website dedicated to a haunted house called the Hell House. The brothers show up to dispatch the ghost but discover it doesn't follow the "rules" that every other ghost in the show does. As they continue to research the ghost keeps changing in unexpected ways. Eventually they figure out that there are thousands of people visiting the website and in the chatrooms people are adding their own twists and details to the legend and the ghost is changing in response. That's when they decide that it's actually a tulpa formed by the belief of everyone visiting the website and not a ghost. So the brothers create their own legend about "the only way to kill this ghost" and put it online so that people will believe it and they can destroy it.

That sounds like a really good episode!

Don't hurt yourself there, Paul! lol

I've noticed that the author of this article, Nick Redfern, has taken a turn into the John Keel camp of late. He pretty much thinks all paranormal activity is mind based and created. Can't say I see it his way.
I was thinking similar for a while there but it doesn't make sense for most things paranormal. I think I have it sorted then something else throws the idea out the window. I think that's the way it's meant to be, but I'll keep trying, lol.

Reactions: Paulm