News And this is why I will never live in a neighborhood with a Homeowner's Association.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://fox4kc.com/2015/08/10/lees-s...-is-threatening-jail-time-for-purple-playset/

A family said they are being threatened with jail time by their community home owners association. Marla Stout said it is all because of the purple-colored playset that’s been in her backyard for two years.

“It’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard,” Stout told FOX 4 on Monday.

The Stouts live in the Raintree Lake Subdivision, southwest of highways 150 and 291. Stout said the HOA is threatening to sue her family if the treehouse is not removed in the next couple of weeks. She said the HOA does have rules about play equipment colors, but said her family isn’t breaking them.

“There’s nothing in the rules about color,” she said. “What it says is it has to be harmonious with the community and with nature and there is nothing that dictates the color of the swing set.”

More at site.

I'm not exactly sure how the HOA thinks it has the power to put someone in jail, per the article. This is the sort of thing that would keep me from ever living in a place where I have to run my color choices and yard décor past someone else. As long as I keep my home and property neat, that ends my obligation to my neighbors.

I don't see how the HOA wins this one, because according to their own material, the home owner is in compliance with the rules. It isn't the home owner's fault that the wording is ambiguous.

Swing sets and play equipment will be allowed and must meet the following requirements:

a) Color: must be subdued and within harmony with other colors of the community including slides, swings and canopies.

Reactions: Hopeless
Well, it depends. What are the approved neighborhood vehicles. But yeah, dead beings on the front lawn would get the board's dis-approval.

Reactions: surge and Hopeless
The HOA should consider themselves lucky. Things could be much worse than a purple swing set!

477984291_16c48d3d6c_o.jpg

Reactions: Hopeless and sal