Ancient Roman Dodecahedron

Hi Debi,
I do have a theory about these strange dodecahedrons, in fact i have studied them from when i was a small boy, i was always interested in the Greek masters like Plato and Pythagoras and Sacred Geometry.
You can see the mysterious Dodecahedron below under Platonic Solids.
He is quoted as saying below:-
"Of the fifth Platonic solid, the dodecahedron, Plato obscurely remarked, "...the god used [it] for arranging the constellations on the whole heaven". Aristotle added a fifth element, aither (aether in Latin, "ether" in English) and postulated that the heavens were made of this element, but he had no interest in matching it with Plato's fifth solid.[4]"
In philosophy and merging religions i feel it did become a sacred shape of the Cosmos and God.
This can be seen by the painting by Dali with The Sacrament of the Last Supper, that shows the twelve sided Dodecahedron in the background, probably representing the 12 disciples:-
The Sacrament of the Last Supper
ArtistSalvador Dalí

You may think Plato was silly, perhaps he was thinking dark matter and energy that is 96% of the Cosmos that we know nothing about?
It isn't proven but some astronomers think that Plato was right, however we don't yet have enough data , it is a long way to go yet, link below:-
Before steel girders were introduced in building, they did use geometry to build arches etc.
So these dodecahedrons could have been sacred emblems for those who studied PHI:-

At the other end of the spectrum, we have the report below:-
Golden ratio discovered in quantum world: Hidden symmetry observed for the first time in solid state matter

As above,
As below!
"So we are moving into the Golden Ratio which can also come out as 1.618.
I will be back soon but i leave with a poem:-
I am a ratio notice by few,
a pyramid, a flower, in math and in you.
A golden mediocrity in planets and space,
Fibonicci's forty in my fifteenth place.
Although quite small, i stretch to infinity, the ancient Greeks raised me up to divinity.
Fraternities exploit me without knowing my meaning,
some people maintain i have a mystical leaning!"

I am a modern day Phi Philosopher, even i have a crystal Dodecahedron sitting on my desk by my computer!
The Vitruvian Man using a Pentacle below:-
A more advanced Sacred Geometry picture below:-

up5c6ed76f.png

I don't take myself seriously but am weird LOL! Before i broke my spine, i was meditating and after produced the drawing below:-

jz5bcf17c3.png

In astrology we use aspect lines, to draw a line that has golden ratio pentacle meaning you use Quintiles (72*) and Bi-Quintiles (144*) in a circle, if you use two pentacles 36 degrees apart you can get a 3D picture of a Dodecahron at it's centre picture below:-
qc5bcf305a.png

So now it is shown that Phi lines join together to form the 3D Dodecahedron at it's centre but there is one shape that doesn't fit being the Golden Spiral and i always wanted to create a master key shape for Phi
Phi can be 1,618 or

Φ = 5 ^ .5 * .5 + .5​

Golden spiral below:-
I was stuck for some time before i read below about Venus retrograde motion producing a heart and rose by apparent orbit:-
Video below:-
If you join a golden spiral to a mirror image you get a cardioid or heart which gave me an idea as i also study The mandelbrot set.
An Envelope Cardioid can have any number of swirling envelopes, however by luck the diagram above has just the right amount to cut the inner circle at ten precise points that you need for two opposite Pentagrams and dodecahedron.
I have put a larger diagram below:-
ik5c9b7a25.png

I'm only showing how accepted number graphs in Mathematics regarding Mandelbrot Set could be related to Phi, Golden Spiral and Fibonacci Sequence,obviously some can be more philosophical by diagrams below,the jury is out with both concepts:-

xi5be80529.png

I had better stop now but i leave you with a trip into the Mandelbrot set, hold tight:-
I do have pentacles on my birth chart by using the moons south mean node:-
fw5bc73a81.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Archaeoastronomer
Hi Jellyforspongebob,
Yes it could be a game, but the Dodecahedron has been known for thousands of years in secret as a symbol of PHI/Golden Ratio. It was just my theory to it's meaning.
It could be the similar to game below:-

Last edited:
Archie as always you blow me away, this is amazing to think about. It is a lot to understand and look at. I will have to digest this in bits. You have a brilliant mind. That drawing is amazing too.

Ok now for the laugh of the day...I guess I have a practical farmer's mind set because my first thought was this device would make a handy tool to put up temporary fencing or ways to mark off an area. The different size holes would allow for various dowels to be inserted to connect pcs together. The little knobs would act as feet or stabilizers, I wonder if you could stack them?