Ancestors

Kako ste?

Looks like we have a Little Croatia here.

My maternal grandmother's family emigrated from Zagreb a hundred and fifteen years ago. I was raised with mom, grandma, and various aunts and uncles speaking Croation. I remember some of it. Enough that I wouldn't starve if I suddenly found myself transported to the streets of Zagreb.

I got close to some Bosnian immigrants at work some 30 years ago, they gravitated to me because I could understand them. They did tell me, however, after hearing my pronunciations, that my family was essentially "from the wrong side of the tracks", lol, which probably explains great-grandma and great-grandpa's emigration here in the first place. I remember my great-grandmother, who spoke no English, but great-grandpa died many years before my birth.

My paternal grandmother was a Wallace (yes, THAT Wallace clan).

With that preamble, I really have no desire to learn my genetic roots. I am a product of my environment much more than my genes. My wife may nag me into it one day, but for now, ignorance is bliss.

Sumus quid sumus

Last edited:
I know it is more of the environment/ country we are raised in but as Bob Marley sung, if you know your history, you will know where you're coming from and can explain some of our thoughts and actions to a degree, also our beliefs. I don't know if mixing races is ideal as I think it could cause conflict in the mixed race persons way of thinking and you will find, over here at least people with even a small percent of indigenous blood will take this as their race to identify with. Maybe to give them a path to follow?

Maybe to give them a path to follow?
My father was 1/2 Native American. I qualify for tribal status. However, my father was adamant on none of us claiming or using it. He wanted us to just be "us". Back in his day there was a stigma about having tribal affiliations. I think his plan for us to focus just on being ourselves was a very wise move for our family. I can love all the "parts" of me without having to focus on just one.

I know it is more of the environment/ country we are raised in but as Bob Marley sung, if you know your history, you will know where you're coming from and can explain some of our thoughts and actions to a degree, also our beliefs. I don't know if mixing races is ideal as I think it could cause conflict in the mixed race persons way of thinking and you will find, over here at least people with even a small percent of indigenous blood will take this as their race to identify with. Maybe to give them a path to follow?
I suspect those with a small amount of indiginous ancestry who take that as their identity have felt lost in the world and that is the only thing that gives them roots or balance. There were a lot of people of european ancestry in the U.S. that signed up to join some native tribe that was recruiting. It was really weird. The tribe had dwindled to very few and was not being recognized by the government as a soveriegn group like the Navajo, Apache, Hopi, etc. The "whites" (pink/beige) people that signed up were people who just did not fit in anywhere.

People have to have a group to belong to, whether it is a family, a tribe, an organization or church, they need to feel like they belong.

Reactions: ozentity
Back in his day there was a stigma about having tribal affiliations
I think that was the same with my family, they denied the black ancestry as Australia was a very racist and redneck place to live up to when I was in my teens. The Maori were accepted here though so they went with that I think. I remember a very old lady neighbor telling me my great grandad was as black as charcoal which made me doubt the Maori story as they aren't that dark skinned. He did come from New Zealand but his family were probably slaves brought from Jamaica. I'm glad times have changed as the dark people in my family were the coolest of the lot and were always happy and loving.

Reactions: Debi and JahaRa
Such tests can't tell you your roots. Only your body's roots.

Reactions: JahaRa
  • Wow
Oh brother. They have all those happy years and they are just going to forget them and be "traumatized". I suspect they could do a DNA test on the dad and find some one the same age as their daughter, probably it was a mix up at the lab and his sperm was used for someone else. My opionion is that they should just drop it, but I guess the won't. Now there will be others who used that clinic coming out of the woodwork after they do DNA tests.

I've never done any kind of test but know some of the oral history that's been passed down. On my Mother's I know that her mother was born and raised in Del Rio Texas. As a child we would sometimes drive out to Texas to visit some of that side in our family tree. Sometimes the Texas relatives would come out to California to visit us as well. It was on one of these trips to Southern Texas that I heard the story of how my great-grandmother had come to America.

Her father was Mexican and her mother was Native Indian. When Pancho Villa came to town talking about how he wanted to take Mexico back for the Mexican people her father knew his Indian wife and children would not be safe. My great-grandmother was just a little girl at the time and remembers her mother waking her up in the middle of the night, telling her that she needed to choose her favorite doll and favorite dress to take with her because the family was leaving and would never return to that house ever again. She cried in the back of the covered wagon as they left their home. At one point they had to cross a narrow bridge that was not meant for wagons. Her older brothers had to get out lanterns and guide her father to drive the horses slowly across. If the wagon drifted more than an inch or two either left or right then the wheels would go off the edge. They eventually made it into Texas and settled in Del Rio. I asked if she remembered the town in Mexico where she had lived, thinking it would be neat to go and look for the old family home. Unfortunately she could no longer recall.

My mother's father was born in Mexico but was sent to live with his aunt in California. Apparently, when he was born he had part of the embryonic sack still wrapped around him and his mother thought it was a bad omen and didn't want him around. He lived with his aunt until he was thirteen, that's when his aunt died and he lived in her house alone after that. He worked in the train yards for several years until he was old enough to lie about his age and joined the Army, of course the Army was not too picky as Japanese planes had just attacked a naval base in Hawaii and they were taking anyone they could get.

As a quick sidenote: My grandfather was the one who really introduced me to the paranormal. Before his aunt died she said that there was a little man with a big nose that would sometimes appear in her room at night and frighten her. She died of a heart attack and my grandfather always believed it was caused by this little man, which may or may not be related to the bad omen his birth mother had been worried about. He spent the next few years sleeping in his aunt's room so that he could confront the little man if he ever returned. I found out recently that my younger sister used to have nightmares about a little man hiding in her room growing up and he would pop out of the shadows to grab her and scare her. She always dismissed it as a bad dream caused by the movie Child's Play as the little man was a lot like Chucky but with a bigger nose. She never knew about Grandpa's childhood so this has me a little concerned.

I don't know a whole lot about my Dad's side of the family. I know that his father was born shortly after the family arrived in the US from Ireland. There was fighting and famine happening in Ireland at the time and the family decided to seek freedom and prosperity in America. The story is that my great-grandmother discovered she was pregnant with my grandfather while on the boat to America. This grandfather was also in the Army during WW2 and worked in intelligence. However he was a hard man and didn't really like talking to children. So I never learned much about him before he died when I was in grade school.

I also don't know much of my grandmother's family. They are of French and Scottish decent and one branch owns a vineyard in Northern California. Growing up my father was seen as a bit of a black sheep because he married a "brown" woman. So I never got a chance to really talk to most of the family and learn their history.

When my grandmother died we were going through some old boxes and found a very old photo of a man in a black suit standing in front of a log cabin. Everyone stopped what they were doing to take turns gasping at the photo until my Dad said that I really needed to see it as the man in the picture looked almost exactly like me. My hair was different as I was in the Army myself at the time and he looked to be a few years older than me at the time but was otherwise a dead ringer. My grandmother's older sister was there and recognized the photo but couldn't remember who it was. We also found a picture of my grandmother at about 16-17 with a few other girls of roughly the same age and a young man in his early 20's. The guy in the photo looked very familiar to me and I asked the room "Is it just me or does this picture of Grandma look like she's hanging out with Frank Sinatra?" My grandmother's sister scoffed and in a tone of disgust said "Yes, that's him. I don't know why she insisted on hang around that loser." I knew my grandma liked Sinatra's music but never knew this was the reason.
Now if grandma had a fling with Frank S, you could be related!