Allowing AI to kill?

Eliminating the human component seems like a recipe for disaster. Geez, they haven't worked out the bugs in self driving cars yet.

Remember many years ago, Soviet radar was telling Moscow we launched missiles at them over the Arctic Circle. Two Soviet guys were convinced the radar was glitchy, and saved the World. No retaliation.

Eliminating the human component seems like a recipe for disaster. Geez, they haven't worked out the bugs in self driving cars yet.

Remember many years ago, Soviet radar was telling Moscow we launched missiles at them over the Arctic Circle. Two Soviet guys were convinced the radar was glitchy, and saved the World. No retaliation.
I did not remember that about the glitchy radar.

I heard about a virtual tabletop test they did with this. The drone attacks had a human involved but the AI was awarded "points" for taking out as many targets as possible. Once the AI figured the human was slowing it down, it eliminated the human. Thank goodness this was all in a virtual simulation.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
I personally think war should be done face to face soldier on soldier. No bombs,missiles,artillery, AI,ect. The more we've developed these weapons the more we use them. They make it too easy to hurt and kill innocent people and make it easy to for both sides to do massive destruction without the soldier seeing exactly what they're doing to the civilian population until its over. Then you have places like Africa where in certain places its just out of control and an easy fix and yet the world does little to nothing to help these people. Toss AI into all of this and all you get is higher taxes and fancy gadgets that can be shut down with an EMP or a good hacker.

Reactions: Stevedog
Having robots make decisions on their own isn't a good idea. Now if there is a human controlling it that's fine. In war things aren't black and white. Combatants and civilians can easily be confused. I've been in many conflicts and can't imagine a robot making some of the decisions that have to be made.
Well stated and I am on your side of the arguement.

Reactions: K9-1 and Paulm