Science A Possible Cause for Addiction

Well put Armand. I suffered a years long battle with alcohol, so we do know of what we speak. With me compulsiveness is a factor. I fully agree that dependency issues are hereditary. On the other hand, a word of caution: one cannot take for granted that "they are immune" because of no family history. We have learned that most genetic illness readily skip a generation, or many generations. So I believe that I was an alcoholic the moment I was born, and even though proudly sober, continue to be. I personally believe this is the case of all others that are genetically predisposed.

My advice to anyone who's mother and father are/were alcoholic, never touching a drink is probably the best advice that I could give. Although remember I mentioned above about generation skipping too, but (doing my best not to be a holier than thou recoverer) I can't advise everybody to never try a drink, just because out there somewhere in your family tree lurks a recessive gene of a boozer!!

Given that I fully believe I was an Alkie at birth, Just like others, it wasn't a problem for me at 15 and had my first drink. Nor was it when I started going out regular after I turned 21. In my 30s I routinely got plastered, and maintained a job, although things began to get more difficult to conceal. I reached a point where I occasionally needed sedatives for my shaking and withdrawals, and coffee for my fatigue just to continue with "business as usual". In my experience, and from my own hindsight: I think if you find yourself in the mirror saying "I think I got a problem" you are correct, but you have already recognized it too late. Not to get help, this is the perfect time! But you are too late in the sense that the phrase you said to the mirror should have come out "I got a problem." Self-recognition always comes slow.

Only on looking back I can self-diagnose the things that were happening to me that I was unaware of at the time:

I eventually began to have a very serious problem in my late 20s or early 30s, when the alcohol took the upper hand in the decision making. In my experience, and from my AA meetings and such, I've never met anyone that can put an exact date on when they lost control.. Looking back in time through my 20/20-armchair-quarterback glasses (because this was before I had my '02 Yukon Time-Dilation Device). -- The big warning sign for me wasn't that I couldn't abstain if necessary. I could, although not for an extended length of time, but mine was specifically: I lost that ability to have that "just one more."

I would rationalize that A 30 pack seemed like it wasn't a big deal, so long as i spread it over the entire day. That psychology didn't work either. What had happened to me, was somewhere along the line, I had lost my "off' swich. I drank until i was too tired to have another, or it could no longer be obtained, regardless of my constant pre-planning.
Excellent post, Maphoo. I have lived around alcoholics my entire life. Although I can drink or not drink, as it doesn't seem to be a genetic problem for me, I choose not to, as I've watched the pain it has caused others I have loved. For those who struggle with it still, I send love and support to you.

Reactions: Maphoo and Mokey
I know compulsiveness can lead to addiction and I also know compulsiveness is hereditary, so it is in our make up already, after we realise this we understand why our parents would try and pick our friends for us. Most people start smoking or try drugs because of peer pressure, when they decide they like it they tend to over do it through "compulsiveness" And one day they awake with a feeling of need for that particular drug, whether it be tobacco, Alcohol. or a narcotic. This has been my experience.

Well put Armand. I suffered a years long battle with alcohol, so we do know of what we speak. With me compulsiveness is a factor. I fully agree that dependency issues are hereditary. On the other hand, a word of caution: one cannot take for granted that "they are immune" because of no family history. We have learned that most genetic illness readily skip a generation, or many generations. So I believe that I was an alcoholic the moment I was born, and even though proudly sober, continue to be. I personally believe this is the case of all others that are genetically predisposed.

My advice to anyone who's mother and father are/were alcoholic, never touching a drink is probably the best advice that I could give. Although remember I mentioned above about generation skipping too, but (doing my best not to be a holier than thou recoverer) I can't advise everybody to never try a drink, just because out there somewhere in your family tree lurks a recessive gene of a boozer!!

Given that I fully believe I was an Alkie at birth, Just like others, it wasn't a problem for me at 15 and had my first drink. Nor was it when I started going out regular after I turned 21. In my 30s I routinely got plastered, and maintained a job, although things began to get more difficult to conceal. I reached a point where I occasionally needed sedatives for my shaking and withdrawals, and coffee for my fatigue just to continue with "business as usual". In my experience, and from my own hindsight: I think if you find yourself in the mirror saying "I think I got a problem" you are correct, but you have already recognized it too late. Not to get help, this is the perfect time! But you are too late in the sense that the phrase you said to the mirror should have come out "I got a problem." Self-recognition always comes slow.

Only on looking back I can self-diagnose the things that were happening to me that I was unaware of at the time:

I eventually began to have a very serious problem in my late 20s or early 30s, when the alcohol took the upper hand in the decision making. In my experience, and from my AA meetings and such, I've never met anyone that can put an exact date on when they lost control.. Looking back in time through my 20/20-armchair-quarterback glasses (because this was before I had my '02 Yukon Time-Dilation Device). -- The big warning sign for me wasn't that I couldn't abstain if necessary. I could, although not for an extended length of time, but mine was specifically: I lost that ability to have that "just one more."

I would rationalize that A 30 pack seemed like it wasn't a big deal, so long as i spread it over the entire day. That psychology didn't work either. What had happened to me, was somewhere along the line, I had lost my "off' swich. I drank until i was too tired to have another, or it could no longer be obtained, regardless of my constant pre-planning.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Armand and Maphoo. You offer great advice.

Excellent post, Maphoo. I have lived around alcoholics my entire life. Although I can drink or not drink, as it doesn't seem to be a genetic problem for me, I choose not to, as I've watched the pain it has caused others I have loved. For those who struggle with it still, I send love and support to you.
I feel so blessed that I don't think of it anymore, There certainly was a higher power involved... Dang I'm still struggling with quitting smoking for good.. that is proving to be so much harder

Maphoo and Armand are in my Hall of Fame. Thank you both. Sitting between Gale Sayers and Saint John Paul 2.

Reactions: DoTell and Debi
I feel so blessed that I don't think of it anymore, There certainly was a higher power involved... Dang I'm still struggling with quitting smoking for good.. that is proving to be so much harder
Altho, my worst violation is actually just an e-cig

:)

Reactions: DoTell