5-13-2022 Friday Live Chat

I had to look it up. I'm an Elvis.
What he drank was something called Mountain Valley Spring Water.
It was bottled directly from a spring in Arkansas. Now they get their water from a different source.

Reactions: garnetsilver

According to this NYT article, Perrier showed up here in the mid 70s. It's mineral (or sparkling) water, however, not what most people in the US would think of as "bottled water" these days.

I learned quickly to ask for "still water" in Europe, asking for just "water" usually resulted in being served mineral water. Besides not particularly liking the taste of mineral water, I also found it gave me gastric issues that tended to keep me close to a porcelain convenience.

• Wow
Sure, distilled water, but I thought you were referring to bottled drinking water. I don't think bottled drinking water took off in the US until either Coke or Pepsi started producing it in the early 90s.

No, I wasn't intending to get that granular. I know, an engineer can't help it. ;)

Just comparing a gallon of fuel to a gallon of water at the same point in time. Imagine whatever labels on said bottles you wish.

I still don't drink bottled water (unless visiting Michigan or Mexico), Perrier tastes like cleaning fluid to me.

I still don't drink bottled water (unless visiting Michigan or Mexico), Perrier tastes like cleaning fluid to me.
I drink spring water that is bottled. They put too much chlorine in our tap water and that doesn't taste all that great.
Kinda reminds me of when I bought JFG coffee for my workplace (Aluminum smelter) in the 90s. The VP said "Don't ever buy that again. JFG doesn't stand for Just F'ing Good." HAHA

My wife will only drink bottled spring water, as well. Tap water here is still pretty good, it doesn't start to taste funny until late summer when the reservoirs are low. Of course lately they are always low, not good. If the megadrought continues I may have to get used to bottled water.

• Sad
Many of the bottled water brands sold today are really tap water. I remember several years ago one of the brands was forced to put something like "water from public sources" on their label. I started drinking bottled water regularly in the past few years only after COVID shutdown public water fountains.