10/29/2015 Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

The fact that stars seem to be speeding up, think it's referred to as the red shift, could it be they are moving away at greater speeds because they are separating themselves exponentially from a gravitational field that grows weaker as the mass of the universe is dispersed?

Reactions: Maphoo
The fact that stars seem to be speeding up, think it's referred to as the red shift, could it be they are moving away at greater speeds because they are separating themselves exponentially from a gravitational field that grows weaker as the mass of the universe is dispersed?
That is they way I understand the theory. Everything is racing away from everything because of the momentum from the big bang. And as galaxies get further apart, their gravitational force upon each other becomes less and less.

Reactions: Frankietoronto
EG: consider a hand grenade as the singularity. When it explodes, as the big bang did, the fragments move away from each other whilst slowing down due to gravity. Prior to the red shift, scientists believed that the objects in the universe were slowing down. But could it be that they are escaping the clutches of a centralized gravity and will continue to gather speed ad infinitum?

That is they way I understand the theory. Everything is racing away from everything because of the momentum from the big bang. And as galaxies get further apart, their gravitational force upon each other becomes less and less.
Bingo!

You crystalized my thoughts neatly and succinctly. No fair!

Hello to all. Weary bird checking in before she checks out in a bit. This looks like a wonderful show, and I will be listening in later. I'm afraid with the amount of meds I have in me at the moment, I will be of no help here for you all tonight!

Reactions: JoMama
EG: consider a hand grenade as the singularity. When it explodes, as the big bang did, the fragments move away from each other whilst slowing down due to gravity. Prior to the red shift, scientists believed that the objects in the universe were slowing down. But could it be that they are escaping the clutches of a centralized gravity and will continue to gather speed ad infinitum?
I'm not sure how much things were slowed down immediately after the big bang, if at all. the mass of all the matter in the universe may never have been enough to hold the matter together once the explosion occured

Hello to all. Weary bird checking in before she checks out in a bit. This looks like a wonderful show, and I will be listening in later. I'm afraid with the amount of meds I have in me at the moment, I will be of no help here for you all tonight!

that's ok I probably will make it through the first hour I'm tired myself and tomorrow is the end of the week

Q1 Do you believe that the "Standard Model" is fundamentally accurate in describing the nature of the universe, or does the Electrical Universe theory have enough evidence to challenge the Standard Model?
Carroll, I just have to comment that your avatar is making me very happy this evening....lol.