Zara: anti-Simetic or just clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
Zara is a company based in Spain, which sells apparel and accessories for the entire family. There are over 2000 locations worldwide, including nearly 50 in the US. In 2007 the company came under fire for selling a handbag that incorporated a Swastika in it's design. After complaints were made, the company pulled the bag from all locations and issued an apology, claiming they hadn't approved the design. Blame was given to an outside supplier.

Flash forward to 2014. The company is again taking heat, this time for selling a child's "sheriff's shirt" which looks suspiciously like the striped shirts worn by Jews in the Nazi concentration camps during World War II. Once again an apology has been issued and the item has not only been removed but slated for destruction as well. I can see where both instances could have been plain old bad luck, but even if that's the case, after two occurrences of something like this, it might be time to put some stricter oversight protocols in place.

So, what do you think?

http://fortune.com/2014/08/27/zara-anti-semitism/

Sounds to me what
they are lacking is a quality control person to check design of the finished product before release. This company works on a fast track, which can lead to stuff just like this. I don't think they would purposely do this as it would impact the bottom line of the company i.e. $$$.

The other thing I think might be in play here is the fact that the fashion biz belongs to the young these days. And many of those young people have no clue about the holocaust or it's impact. Time erases and rewrites much of history and the young become detached from it.

Since my clothes are usually Walmart, I need not worry about high fashion! lol I refuse to pay ridicules prices for fashion that only the birds, dogs and squirrels will admire. Give me a T-shirt and jeans and I'm good to go! The only new clothing I've purchased in the last year is my new "The Farside" t-shirt. (And it's a really cool shirt!)

Reactions: surge
Zara is a company based in Spain, which sells apparel and accessories for the entire family. There are over 2000 locations worldwide, including nearly 50 in the US. In 2007 the company came under fire for selling a handbag that incorporated a Swastika in it's design. After complaints were made, the company pulled the bag from all locations and issued an apology, claiming they hadn't approved the design. Blame was given to an outside supplier.

Flash forward to 2014. The company is again taking heat, this time for selling a child's "sheriff's shirt" which looks suspiciously like the striped shirts worn by Jews in the Nazi concentration camps during World War II. Once again an apology has been issued and the item has not only been removed but slated for destruction as well. I can see where both instances could have been plain old bad luck, but even if that's the case, after two occurrences of something like this, it might be time to put some stricter oversight protocols in place.

So, what do you think?

http://fortune.com/2014/08/27/zara-anti-semitism/
I think they are just clueless. This is from the article:

When customers complained, Zara apologized and said it hadn’t realized that the handbag’s pattern contained swastikas. The bag came from an Indian supplier and the approved design didn’t feature the symbols, the company said at the time.

The Swastika was originally a religious symbol before the Nazi's stole it. The handbag in question had 4 "swastikas" on it, probably in some kind if design. The concentration camp shirt looks like any other striped shirt. You really have to know history to know that's what they made prisoners wear in the camps. I'm going to guess some clueless interns or fresh out of college buyers are the ones picking up something and ordering in large quantities without knowing cultural sensitivities.

I think they are just clueless. This is from the article:

When customers complained, Zara apologized and said it hadn’t realized that the handbag’s pattern contained swastikas. The bag came from an Indian supplier and the approved design didn’t feature the symbols, the company said at the time.

The Swastika was originally a religious symbol before the Nazi's stole it. The handbag in question had 4 "swastikas" on it, probably in some kind if design. The concentration camp shirt looks like any other striped shirt. You really have to know history to know that's what they made prisoners wear in the camps. I'm going to guess some clueless interns or fresh out of college buyers are the ones picking up something and ordering in large quantities without knowing cultural sensitivities.
Agree totally, Nekki. BTW, the swastika was originally known as St. Brigid's cross in the Catholic Church. I was once gifted with one but could never wear it, of course. It goes way, way back into history prior to the church, as well.
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/symbol-swastika-and-its-12000-year-old-history-001312

Since my clothes are usually Walmart, I need not worry about high fashion! lol I refuse to pay ridicules prices for fashion that only the birds, dogs and squirrels will admire. Give me a T-shirt and jeans and I'm good to go!

That's the general rule around here, too. We do both have nicer, dressier clothes (and my suits, which I absolutely hate wearing), but for the most part it's jeans and a t-shirt. In fact, I wear t-shirts til they almost fall apart. Right now I have on one that is 10 years old... KISS Rock the Nation tour shirt from 2004 at Sandstone in KCK. My wife keeps telling me I need to retire it, but it's comfy and I like it. I don't wear it out in public, though... just around the house.

Mine doesn't look this good anymore:

That's the general rule around here, too. We do both have nicer, dressier clothes (and my suits, which I absolutely hate wearing), but for the most part it's jeans and a t-shirt. In fact, I wear t-shirts til they almost fall apart. Right now I have on one that is 10 years old... KISS Rock the Nation tour shirt from 2004 at Sandstone in KCK. My wife keeps telling me I need to retire it, but it's comfy and I like it. I don't wear it out in public, though... just around the house.

Mine doesn't look this good anymore:

Got ya beat! I have a Moody Blues T shirt that goes back around 20 years! lol Just can't give it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.