Your top picks

Garnet ,thought you might like to take a look at this parade from last night.
One of my favorite childhood memories is going to Chicago via the Southshore train with my mom and grandma every Christmas and looking at all the animated display windows. Right out of the Christmas Story movie! It was an all day window shopping event with a stop at a little place for lunch. Our annual trip was always the big event of the season.

15938377276_79d1822ff6_h.0.jpg
The Walnut Room at Marshall Fields department store on State Street. It's 110 years old and now a Macy's but they haven't changed a thing. It's really like going back in time.
Mom used to take me and my brother downtown to see Santa and we would have chicken pot pies at the Walnut Room.
And those window displays were pretty spectacular.

View attachment 44005
The Walnut Room at Marshall Fields department store on State Street. It's 110 years old and now a Macy's but they haven't changed a thing. It's really like going back in time.
Mom used to take me and my brother downtown to see Santa and we would have chicken pot pies at the Walnut Room.
And those window displays were pretty spectacular.
We had our lunch there as well! Glad to hear it's not changed. It's a beautiful place full of tradition.

That Christmas tree is spectacular!
The restaurant is on the 7th floor of the building but you can look down on the tree from the balcony on the 8th and 9th floor.

And I bet those same people that decorate the window cases also do the tree.

If I remember right the menu was pretty much Midwestern comfort food like pot roast. And a great kids menu because that's sort of what that place is about. It's generational.

One of my favorite childhood memories is going to Chicago via the Southshore train with my mom and grandma every Christmas and looking at all the animated display windows. Right out of the Christmas Story movie! It was an all day window shopping event with a stop at a little place for lunch. Our annual trip was always the big event of the season.

Same for me! Christmas in Salt Lake City in 1963 was almost exactly like it was seen in Christmas Story, presented as circa 1940, except we had a B&W TV to replace the console radio.