Your Standby.....

There was a diner in High Springs, FL which served the absolute best milk shakes ever. They had a retro theme, as you can see in the pic:
View attachment 32278
A few years back a friend and I were going to an event in northern Ohio. He told me he knew a great place to eat, a 50s style dinner near Findlay. When we pulled in to a parking lot, I asked, "Where is it? Is it behind the Denny's?". Turns out it was the Denny's, but one of a handful built from the ground up to give it a 50s feel. Art deco look, lots of chrome and neon. Cool looking place, but unfortunately the same crappy Denny's food.
41_big.jpg

They can be.

Are there still "Little Chefs" in the UK? Ate a handful of these over the years. We were in rural Wales, a Little Chef on the edge of civilization kept us from starving to death.
They are no more these days, sadly (though the food was often questionable). It's funny because that's what came to mind when you were talking about the Mom and Pop's diner and I wondered if they might be equivalent.

Reactions: Duke
They are no more these days, sadly (though the food was often questionable). It's funny because that's what came to mind when you were talking about the Mom and Pop's diner and I wondered if they might be equivalent.
Mom and Pop's describes small, usually family owned businesses, as opposed to large chain restaurants and/or well known ones.

The closest we have to Little Chef is probably Waffle House, but most of them are open 24 hours. We used to have a chain here called Stuckey's that was similar .

I agree the food at Little Chef wasn't the best, but it was consistent across the chain as far as I could tell. The family owned, Mom & Pop places here run the gambit from really good to awful. Mrs Duke and I had dinner tonight at a local family owned place we really like, they specialize in fried chicken.