Your Phone...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
PHONES SEEM TO BE THE CENTER OF THE WORLD NOW. HOW MUCH DO YOU RELY ON YOUR PHONE? DO YOU USE IT FOR EVERYTHING? DO YOU USE IT FOR INTERACTING WITH THE FORUM? DO YOU CARRY IT WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES?

WHAT KIND OF PHONE DO YOU PREFER?

67107486_2272134193039680_5369722118101532672_n (Small).jpg

Reactions: garnetsilver
Well, I am one of these people who don't feel much fondness for smartphones. I carry a little flip phone with me when out and about, it has a camera which I rarely use and texting ability but no bells and whistles. Hubby has a smart phone that he carries. I can't help but feel that everywhere I look, people are focusing on their phones and not on the life going on all around them. And then when they do focus, they feel that they have to photograph or record, etc. I take vivid pictures with my mind and remember them many years later.

When I was a child, we took pictures of special occasions; my father had one of those slide carousels which he would run after we had gone on a picnic, or some other event, and we would look at the pictures through a projector, on a screen. The world is so different today! I see the value of smart phones, but I rarely use them. My two cents.:)

Well, I am one of these people who don't feel much fondness for smartphones. I carry a little flip phone with me when out and about, it has a camera which I rarely use and texting ability but no bells and whistles. Hubby has a smart phone that he carries. I can't help but feel that everywhere I look, people are focusing on their phones and not on the life going on all around them. And then when they do focus, they feel that they have to photograph or record, etc. I take vivid pictures with my mind and remember them many years later.

When I was a child, we took pictures of special occasions; my father had one of those slide carousels which he would run after we had gone on a picnic, or some other event, and we would look at the pictures through a projector, on a screen. The world is so different today! I see the value of smart phones, but I rarely use them. My two cents.:)
Garnet, I hear ya. I had sworn I'd never get a cell phone. A little over 2 years ago my children decided to drag me into the 21st century and got one for me. Of course, I was obliged to use it. Thing is, I use it like a land line! lol I have learned to text on it as it is the preferred form of communication with my nephew who won't answer his phone. I rarely use the get online option of it. I do not like it, can't type with it well, and it's more trouble than it's worth to try and use it that way, IMO. The only plus I can give it is with the many hospital stays between hubs and I it does offer a good communication option for us.

I have a smart phone, I use the camera and the G.P.S more than anything..... I text but would prefer an actual call.. interesting thing about texting is that once upon a time you would have failed "typing" class for using the two finger method, now 10 year olds are typing more wpm than we had to do on the final with just their thumbs...lol.... I hardly ever carry it out and about with me unless im travelling any distance... I really don't like being connected full time...lol.... I need that "lost in the world" feeling quite often....

No cell reception in this valley so no cell phone at all... I am to cheap to pay a monthly plan for a phone I'd never use more than a few times a month. Never texted. My kid's tried to 'teach' me but by the time they showed me how to turn on the phone, how to slide here and there on the phone, how to flip the phone for different views, how to actually use the phone, how to turn off the phone when you finished a call ~ I had day-dreamed myself into my safe place and wandered off. :wancrescent::wangibbous::waxcrescent::waxgibbous::thoughtballoon:;pie

I'm with Donna with this,no reception here.I don't know how to use a cell phone and not interested.It has been embarrassing at times when people have asked me to make a call on theirs when I'm out,they look at you in disbelief.It's pretty bad when my 2 year old granddaughter can use one to call and play games on.

I would be lost without my cell phone. I access PNF about 90 percent of the time from my phone. Certain things on PNF I have to do from the desktop computer. Everything else, I like the portability of anytime, anywhere.

The reception in my house is crummy too because I live in a bit of a hollow. ATT was kind enough many years ago to give me a microcell device which talks to satellites and boosts my signal.

My family plans activities via texting. That function alone is enough to get a mobile phone. Things like " I'm leaving work, need anything from the grocery " means that I don't have to get home only to run out again.

I put cell phones in the category of air conditioning, once you have it, you would never do without it. Can you live without it, yes, but I don't want to. :)

No cell reception in this valley so no cell phone at all... I am to cheap to pay a monthly plan for a phone I'd never use more than a few times a month. Never texted. My kid's tried to 'teach' me but by the time they showed me how to turn on the phone, how to slide here and there on the phone, how to flip the phone for different views, how to actually use the phone, how to turn off the phone when you finished a call ~ I had day-dreamed myself into my safe place and wandered off. :wancrescent::wangibbous::waxcrescent::waxgibbous::thoughtballoon:;pie
This! I really get frustrated with the portability aspect; give me a desktop any day. I rarely even use my flip phone.

I like smart phones for everything EXCEPT using it as a telephone. I have carried both for many years. The smartphone got left in the truck and the flip phone road in my pants pocket. The flip phone got better reception, you could operate it one-handed without looking at it and if you wanted to make a call all you had to do is flip it open.

I currently have 7 telephone numbers. I provide phones and service for my entire family because my business required several phone numbers so I got a discount and the extra lines didn't cost that much. We are trimming them now that I am retired. As a matter of fact, TODAY is my first day without my flip phone. :-( I miss it already but I only need one phone now and the smartphone is the better choice. I guess, like it or not, I'm going to have to learn about texting. NOBODY answers their phone anymore. The endless junk calls have made it so most people are turning off their ringers.

The problem is that the "smart" phones keep getting bigger and bigger!! Men don't usually have a purse and if you put one of these in your pocket you WILL break it if you do anything physical. I refuse to join the "clutch clan" (The people that are one-handed because they MUST have their phone clutched in one hand) so I have this huge pouch on my side for the big sucker.

I do really like having a portable palmtop computer. Now that I'm not trying to do business on the phone all the time I THINK that I can get by without my flip phone... I feel a little like I did when I was a kid and they took away my Teddy Bear. They gave me a hypoallergenic CLOWN but it was NOT the same.

Another thing that I don't like about today's phones is that they are fragile. I have heard stories about people dropping them in the toilet, dropping them on the floor, cracking the screen, etc. I used an old fashioned land line phone, it's actually a retro refurbished phone that looks like it has a dial but it's really push buttons. I love the heft of the receiver and heaviness of the base, and I can prop the receiver on my shoulder while talking; can't do that with a Smartphone.