Your First...

My first was a Commodore Amiga purchased in the mid-1980s. I learned BASIC programming on it which led to my writing a number of programming tutorial articles published by various magazines devoted to the Amiga up to the early 90s.

Reactions: Benway
I think the first computer I ever used was my dad, and I would sit there and play games on Cartoon Network, this was probably early 2000's, so I was really young. My first actual computer given to me though, was an HP Desktop and I remember giving it so many viruses because I had no idea something like that even existed, and crashed it haha.

Reactions: Benway and Debi
There was no Internet in the 80's Lynne.
The earliest internet like activity I recall was 1986 when I used the military's arpanet and we communicated in a network manner between computers. I had a desktop computer and was using a remote computer to compile programs that I had written. Internet, as we define it today didn't arrive for me until 1988. It was terribly difficult to install all of the necessary memory tricks on our desktop computers to allow us to use the internet. Netscape was the first browser that did all of this for us in the 1989 / 1990 timeframe and the internet became more widespread. Those were wild west days in the computer to computer communication era.

Reactions: Paulm and Benway
My first computer was the ZX Spectrum 48K.

I learned how to program in BASIC on it, and my favourite game to play was Jet Set Willy.

Still miss the 'screeching' of the cassette loader these days :) For all those who remember these, and those who haven't got a clue what I am on about, here's a blast from the past......

Reactions: Benway
There was no Internet in the 80's Lynne. I didn't even get online until something like 1998.
There was something like the internet in the 80s though. The Commodore 64 allowed you to communicate with other computers via a phoneline and use the old BBS. My brother had that one. So it was truly the beginning stages of the internet.

Yes but the commercial internet was a product of the 90s. Only a handful of people were using it prior.

Text editing was what got my attention. Anybody remember the book "WordStar with Style"? Written by a friend of mine.

There was something like the internet in the 80s though. The Commodore 64 allowed you to communicate with other computers via a phoneline and use the old BBS. My brother had that one. So it was truly the beginning stages of the internet.
We had a Commodore 64 and played games on it. We didn’t connect up anywhere.