Your First...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR FIRST COMPUTER? OR EVEN YOUR FIRST TIME ON ANY COMPUTER? WHAT KIND WAS IT? DID YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WERE DOING OR DID YOU NEED SOME HELP?

TELL ME YOUR COMPUTER STORIES!

My first computer came from a neighbor who was going to throw hers away. I was very lacking in knowledge about computers, so when she offered it to me I got really excited and thought I was going to be able to do a lot. Well, this dinosaur of a computer had a CRT monitor, and only 32 RAM. I traded it up for a later model, used, and finally was able to buy a brand new one from Dell a few years later.

My first computer access was a terminal to a computer. Everything was real time and we wrote programs in the BASIC language. I didn't know what i was doing for awhile. We were learning by experimenting.

This was well before the internet.

Although my hubs had some sort of old computer at home, I feared it. Old dial up thing.

In 1999, my hospital added computers. We had to use them as soon as we got a password from IT. I was the LAST one to get a password and that was only because the head of IT came down and dragged me back to the IT office. You had to actually put your chosen password into some little keypad thingy so they needed me physically there. It was then we learned I am can be lethal with electronics of the computer kind. lol

We backed into a home computer as Mrs Duke was adamant she did not want one based on her experience with nursing notes/giving report on a computer at work. I finally convinced her into us getting what was then called an "internet appliance." This allowed me to ease her into a home computer, and within a few years we upgraded to the real thing. Somewhere along the line she found eBay and Amazon. Oy vey. Our poor mailman.

We backed into a home computer as Mrs Duke was adamant she did not one based on her experience with nursing notes/giving report on a computer at work. I finally convinced her into us getting what was then called an "internet appliance." This allowed me to ease her into a home computer, and within a few years we upgraded to the real thing. Somewhere along the line she found eBay and Amazon. Oy vey. Our poor mailman.

Yes, and those notes then got printed out anyway. Less paper my Aunt Fanny!

I tend to burn out the computer mouse first, then the computer eventually follows. On a brand new computer I have already "influenced" the DVD drive and must now replace it.

My first computer access was a terminal to a computer. Everything was real time and we wrote programs in the BASIC language. I didn't know what i was doing for awhile. We were learning by experimenting.

This was well before the internet.
I wonder if your experience was similar to mine 7. My first experience was in junior high school. Our advanced science and mathematics teachers teamed up to get four students access to a teletype machine (photo inserted below) and a few hours of remote time sharing on a military computer at Miramar Air Station. We were taught BASIC programming too.

Attachments

• D55C11E7-0F0F-4B38-AB00-10D42F7BBF3A.jpeg
    D55C11E7-0F0F-4B38-AB00-10D42F7BBF3A.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 72
I wonder if your experience was similar to mine 7. My first experience was in junior high school. Our advanced science and mathematics teachers teamed up to get four students access to a teletype machine (photo inserted below) and a few hours of remote time sharing on a military computer at Miramar Air Station. We were taught BASIC programming too.
I had the same experience my junior year in high school. The big thing was the lunar lander game, with the teletype printing out each iteration of control input.