Your favorite...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
John Wayne movie! Which one and why?

55609112_1163196863848784_2577702769624350720_n.jpg

Red River (United Artists, 1948) an excellent cast. In real life, John Wayne and Montgomery Clift did not get along. This worked well for the film, as it shows. Walter Brennan had similar feelings about Clift. An excellent supporting cast, including Hal Taliaferro, John Ireland, Tom Tyler, Noah Berry Jr., and Joann Dru. It's also the only film in which Harry Carey, and his son, Harry Carey Jr. played in together. The two look amazingly alike. Great story directed by Howard Hawks.

I like Wayne in just about anything, including the early films he made for Mascot and Paul Malvern, but especially in Republic's "Three Mesquiteers" series, where he played Stony Brooke in eight films, the last being in 1939, the same year he gained fame for his role of theRingo Kid in John Ford's "Stagecoach."

Reactions: Paintman
Angel and the Badman. Wayne is very young in that one.

Brings back memories of when my father was watching these flicks. I can't remember any of them for the life of me. I was still really young. He would have them on all day lol. John Wayne set the pathway for Clint Eastwood.

Even though John Wayne was still in his heyday when I was young, I always considered him to be kind of before my time. As such, I cannot say with any conviction that I ever watched a John Wayne movie from beginning to end. The one's I did start watching just didn't keep me watching.

Growing up, though, I was always amazed at the reverence and worship that some people expressed for the actor. I know that I am also guilty of saying some things that mocked or otherwise ridiculed this sentiment. And today, I still feel very bad that this may have been very hurtful and regret it sincerely.

John Wayne set the pathway for Clint Eastwood.

So when it comes to this type of genre, I think I was always more captivated by the Clint Eastwood character and movies. For whatever reason I could relate to them more.

The Shootist.
My Grandpa took me to that movie when I was a kid. Later in life I took him to go see The Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood. Circle of life:).
What I find funny is Pop was more heavily armed than anyone on the screen:p

There is a guy that works down at the hardware store and he recommended McClintock. Never seen it but I'm going to put that on my to do list.

Even though John Wayne was still in his heyday when I was young, I always considered him to be kind of before my time. As such, I cannot say with any conviction that I ever watched a John Wayne movie from beginning to end. The one's I did start watching just didn't keep me watching.

Growing up, though, I was always amazed at the reverence and worship that some people expressed for the actor. I know that I am also guilty of saying some things that mocked or otherwise ridiculed this sentiment. And today, I still feel very bad that this may have been very hurtful and regret it sincerely.

So when it comes to this type of genre, I think I was always more captivated by the Clint Eastwood character and movies. For whatever reason I could relate to them more.
Clint could play the flawed character. Same with Charles Bronson. Just my two cents. Sometimes I read too much into things......

The Cowboys.I like John Wayne, he looked like my grandad.

The Quiet Man

Filmed in Ireland (the village of Cong county Mayo), very funny. I've visited the locations several times on my travels around Ireland.