Your Earliest Memory?

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
What's your earliest memory? Does that memory have a special meaning to you?

This came up yesterday talking to my granddaughter when I asked her if she remembered an incident from when she was 3 years old, almost five years ago. She responded, "No, I don't remember those olden days." That led to a discussion of her earliest memories, and then of my earliest memories.

What's your earliest memory? Does that memory have a special meaning to you?

This came up yesterday talking to my granddaughter when I asked her if she remembered an incident from when she was 3 years old, almost five years ago. She responded, "No, I don't remember those olden days." That led to a discussion of her earliest memories, and then of my earliest memories.
I'm not sure which of these happened first so I'll tell them both. 1) The pale face with big black eyes. It scared the hell out of me several nights in a row. 2) Sitting on my mothers lap in the church library as she read me a book.

I remember being on the grass, looking up to a window in the second story of the hospital. At that window, sitting in a wheelchair, was my MoM holding onto what looked like a rolled up towel. "That's you new brother Mommy's holding," said my Dad. "He'll come home tomorrow."

I was a little better than three when my younger brother was born, and not only remember seeing him a couple stories up in that hospital window, but also a day later when they brought him home. My brother grew up to be a great friend, a brilliant university student, and a very successful businessman. I lost him far too young, but I often find myself smiling when I think back to recalling that first memory.

I have a lot of memories, though fragmented now of going to work with my mom and getting a Hershey's Chocolate milk for a treat. I remember not going to work with my mom and being alone at the house till my sister got home from school. Different times, but that's where i got my independent nature. I have a memory of me putting a plastic beach bucket on my head and running around the yard lol. I was very young, though there was a picture taken of that, i distinctly remember doing it and everyone laughing at me lol.

My earliest memory was on December 25th, 1985. I was only four at the time but that was the day I had gotten my first Nintendo. Being totally new to video games and the original Super Mario Brothers, I spent the entire day up until night or early the next morning playing. I’m surprised I was even allowed to do so.

I get "snapshot" memories from "back in the olden days"...as Duke's granddaughter calls them.

I can clearly recall being rocked to sleep to my mom singing "You are my Sunshine" and "Happy Trails to You" in a very old rocking chair. I believe I was age 2 to 3. After that I recall being allowed to pick two books a night for nighttime stories from the bookshelves in my room. Actually, an entire closet was overtaken with books...lol I loved every one of them, too.

Going to visit the "reindeer" we had in a side lot downtown at Christmas time and visiting Santa over at the Post Office...he hung out there so he could accept letters in person in my home town! Hearing my mom take my grandfather to task for arriving with two little dyed baby ducklings for Easter, which lived in a hastily erected fence and pool in the garage, until they mysteriously disappeared to join the other ducks down at the dam on the lake.

First day of Kindergarten (was private back then and one had to pay for it) and feeling like really big stuff! lol All dressed up with my nap mat in tow.