Your choice...

Do you prefer listening to music recorded live/in concert, or in a studio? Are there specific performers/bands where you have a preference for one over the other?

(Thanks goes to Duke for the question!)
I'll listen to either. Listening live at a concert is the best experience. Can't beat the crowd, the music beating in your chest. Way different vibe altogether. Funny this thread pops up as we are in middle of setting up to get tickets for a concert in July lol.

I prefer the studio. When I listen to music of any kind, it's a very personal experience for me. I have to be able to sit and absorb it all without outside input from screaming people or visuals in front of me. Music is a language that speaks best to me when we're one on one.

As I've mentioned before, I come from an extremely musical family. I was raised on listening to the classics with the lights turned down low and sitting on the floor. And by classics, I'm talking symphony. The radio was on daily for the popular of the day, and my father was in a band part time. My uncle was in the President's Own Marine Band for years and we often played those records as well. Add in two uncles who were band directors for Universities, and music was everywhere.

A couple bands I thought were underwhelming on live albums were Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, I thought both sounded far better on studio albums. Even seeing Zeppelin at a concert was disappointing.

Conversely, I've seen/heard bands who I thought sounded as good, if not better, live or on live concert albums compared to their studio work. Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Strawbs, and ELP I thought always sounded better live or on a live album.

An example of Giant Live.

Black Sabbath
I got to see the original lineup at Ozzfest. It was a long, hot day and it was not a great performance. But i can say i saw the original guys play. I saw Ozzy once live during his solo days, and it was a great show.

I got to see the original lineup at Ozzfest. It was a long, hot day and it was not a great performance. But i can say i saw the original guys play. I saw Ozzy once live during his solo days, and it was a great show.
The word back in tbe 70s was the Sabbath would not do a live album because of all their studio overdubs and audio wizardry, particularly with regards to Ozzy's vocals.

In the early 80s, a live Sabbath album (Live at Last) was released, but it was a bootleg, not something the band or their label released. It was awful. From that point on, guys came and went, and I don't think the original line up did a live album until around 2000. Even that was a money grab, a last gasp effort to cash in on a reunion tour.

The word back in tbe 70s was the Sabbath would not do a live album because of all their studio overdubs and audio wizardry, particularly with regards to Ozzy's vocals.

In the early 80s, a live Sabbath album (Live at Last) was released, but it was a bootleg, not something the band or their label released. It was awful. From that point on, guys came and went, and I don't think the original line up did a live album until around 2000. Even that was a money grab, a last gasp effort to cash in on a reunion tour.
Yep i have the vinyl album of Live at Last lol. They did a live album when Dio was singing for them.