Your childhood posse

I was raised on a one-block long dead-end street with a cul-de-sac on the end. There were 15 houses and probably 25 or 30 kids on the street. Then you move over a block and do it again and again and again. Your pack was the kids on your street that were in your age group. We were about 10 strong with a younger group under us and a group older than us. as we aged we merged with some of the other packs on the other similar streets but our home group was always closer.

Me and my brother, Paul and Nancy and the McKinney Brothers. Phil and Steven.We played a lot of baseball and football. Pond hockey. Then we got older and were allowed on the golf course. At night we would sneak into the pool, often with girls, and we called ourselves the Polar Bear Club.
Other times we go out to the golf course at night and go creeking for lost balls.

And then a little older we would go to the drive-in darn near every night. Our buddy Kelly looked a lot older and would cop us beer.40 oz. Big Jug Beer $1. And it seems like every other bottle would have traces of rust in the bottom.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
Seems like we only get together for funerals and a couple BBQs each year.
Hey Oz, I had to make a big move at age 49. Take heart because sometimes it really works out well. New town more rural. Had to get used to every little thing. Feel for you though.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
I loved the drive-in movie places. When I was a little kid the Mamas would gather a bunch of us up and go to the movies. They would park in the front row and there was a great playground under the screen that we could play in while they watched Elvis or Tarzan Movies. Later when I had a car the drive-in was a great place to take a date or a bunch of guys would load up in a truck, back into the parking spot and then everyone would sit in the back of the truck and drink beer. This is one of the things that kids now will never experience.

Do you remember the Hay-rides? The churches used to run a hayride up to Saratoga at least twice a month and run Bragg Road looking for the Saratoga light. It was a safe and fun sort of thing where the guys and the girls could get friendly but not get in trouble. Later when I got my car we used to take dates up there. Life was so simple back then...

Seems like we only get together for funerals and a couple BBQs each year.
Hey Oz, I had to make a big move at age 49. Take heart because sometimes it really works out well. New town more rural. Had to get used to every little thing. Feel for you though.
Thanks Paintman,I'm sort of nervous but hopeful but be glad to get away from the intense Summers and snakes here.:sweat::eek:

I really didn't have any for very long because of my dad's occupation at the time and we were always on the move. He was in store management for a long defunct grocery store chain that went under in '98.

I loved the drive-in movie places. When I was a little kid the Mamas would gather a bunch of us up and go to the movies. They would park in the front row and there was a great playground under the screen that we could play in while they watched Elvis or Tarzan Movies. Later when I had a car the drive-in was a great place to take a date or a bunch of guys would load up in a truck, back into the parking spot and then everyone would sit in the back of the truck and drink beer. This is one of the things that kids now will never experience.

Do you remember the Hay-rides? The churches used to run a hayride up to Saratoga at least twice a month and run Bragg Road looking for the Saratoga light. It was a safe and fun sort of thing where the guys and the girls could get friendly but not get in trouble. Later when I got my car we used to take dates up there. Life was so simple back then...

Thanks for the link to the Saratoga Lights!

I remember hay rides...and so do my allergies..lol But they were fun!

Reactions: garnetsilver