Your childhood Easter Traditions

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

WHAT MEMORIES DO YOU HAVE OF EASTER AS A CHILD?
DID YOU DYE EGGS?
DRESS UP AND GO TO CHURCH?
WHAT WAS THE TRADITIONAL MEAL AT YOUR HOUSE?
DID EXTENDED FAMILY GATHER?
DID YOU GET AN EASTER BASKET?
DID YOUR FAMILY DECORATE THE HOUSE FOR EASTER?

WHAT TRADITIONS HAVE YOU CARRIED OVER TO YOUR ADULT LIFE?
278485575_7209138769156616_1956251140971154991_n.jpg

It varied, but usually there were baskets with the fake grass in them and a variety of sweets. My favorites were the Jordan Almonds. We always dyed eggs, and we always had new outfits to wear to church for Easter. My mother always made a roast leg of lamb for supper. We didn't decorate the house, and hardly ever had a large family gathering; just the immediate members.

My fondest memories weren't from my own childhood, but from my daughter's. For about ten years we had a next door neighbor who was elderly. Each year she would fix up an Easter basket for my daughter and the little girl who lived downstairs. At Halloween, she would give little bags of candy to them both. I was really sorry to hear she had passed.

We did the usual baskets with candy. My mom didn't decorate much, but there were always the same little bunny statues she would pull out for that time. I believe she still has and displays them. I believe she made ham and cold salads every Easter (home made potato and mac salad). I think only when my sister married, my mother made her husband stuffed shells. Always enjoyed the ham on rye sandwiches for the next couple days.

We dyed eggs the day before easter and put them in cartons for the easter bunny to hide. My dad would go out early and hide the eggs then he would take us out and watch us find them. We were really small then. I remember he loved hiding them in the rabbit boxes. Once we went to my grandmother's ranch for easter and she had a huge easter egg hunt for all the kids (20 or so). My youngest brother found an egg and one of the older cousins took it away from him. My other brother and I followed yelling about it, but none of the adults cared. We found an egg and my brother watched it while I took the little brother to find it.

For my kids we dyed eggs and I gave them a basket with a few treats that they used to put the eggs I had hidden in. One year after we went to my sister's house and my 2 girls and my neice found all the eggs my brother in law hid for them, they took turns hiding then for each other. They played with those eggs all day. My sister was planning on using some of them for the potato salad.

We always have fish on Good Friday, Easter eggs Sunday morning. Always played Domino's with nan on Saturday when she was here. She was an SP bookie so always always played for money, she always won for some reason :rolleyes: lol.

Wow, that would be a deep trip down memory lane. I vaguely remember dying eggs, and Easter baskets full of plastic "grass". More of a holiday my little sisters got into though. It kept them busy so I could do interesting stuff without them bothering me lol. We did go to mass on Easter but most of the religious pomp is buried deeply apparently because I'm not recalling many details. Grandparents usually made an appearance at the house after mass. Can't recall any Easter meals. Didn't mean we didn't have them, it just means that I don't remember.