You wore what?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
WHILE GROWING UP, MOM WAS A THRIFTY SHOPPER. WE GOT HAND ME DOWNS, SECOND HAND, WHATEVER FIT YA CLOTHING UNTIL WE COULD BUY OUR OWN.

KIDS TODAY ARE DRESSED LIKE FASHION DESIGNERS! SO...WHAT DID YOU WEAR GROWING UP? DID YOU GET NEW CLOTHES? RUMMAGE SALE ITEMS? DID YOU GET TO PICK YOUR OWN "STYLE" AS A KID? OR WERE YOU DOOMED AS I WAS AND HAVE A MOM WHO THOUGHT CORDUROY PANTS FROM THE RUMMAGE SALE WERE HIGH FASHION?
70453096_2484445875100290_7073988389812305920_n.jpg

Reactions: garnetsilver
I was very fussy about clothes as a kid, I liked mine threadbare with holes. Mum tried to put me in the latest fashion which happened to be the most dorky to my mates. I would retrieve my old clothes from the garbage on many occasions and got a coat hanger around the legs for it, lol. Football jerseys with no sleeves and footy shorts or Levi's were my staple just like Paul Hogan. I also never wore shoes, well only to school.

Growing up in the 80's, I'd wear T-shirts, Tie-dyed shirts, light denim jeans, white tennis shoes and sometimes slap on bracelets. I'd wear a Polo instead when I got older. But in kindergarten, it was uniforms. Navy blue dress pants, black dress shoes, a White button down with a black tie. I'm sure we never liked it, but we also never revolted. The school was owned and operated by an older couple that could have easily been our grandparents they were very strict but they weren't bad people. They're long gone but the school building itself is still there to this day. Think I got a little nostalgic.

70's - Garanimal ! (Oz, for kids, if you wanted your pants to match your shirt you would look at the tag, and the giraffe would go with the giraffe......)
Sidebar: I read an article about how pro golfers with clothing contracts are dressed like this. It was kind of embarrassing for some people. Nike or Adidas or Puma would send them pre-packaged tailored clothes before every tournament. Sorted out. Wear the individual package.

80's - oh boy did Paul and I ever have a great discussion one day about this ! Like Lone, acid washed jeans with bright white sneakers, pastel polos. It was a great change-of-pace from the earth tones of the 1970s.

Don't remember anything about my clothes as a youngster, other than every August we made our trek to Montgomery Ward for our annual school clothes buy. I wore whatever the parents bought, which was in turn whatever they could afford for each of us four kids. And of course there were hand me downs.

Once I got into high school/college, it was jeans and tshirts. I remember moving my daughter into her freshman dorm and being astonished at the sheer number/volume of clothing she took. I remarked to another out-of-breath dad as we took a break, "When I moved into my dorm, I took two pair of jeans and half a dozen tshirts."

Since I retired, I can count on both hands the number of times I have worn anything other than jeans/cargo shorts/sweatpants and tshirts/pullover shirts.

My parents shopped at wholesale clothing warehouse type places where they could buy in bulk, since there were so many of us! after they separated, it was Sears Roebuck for us all. In my teens, I could pretty much wear whatever I liked because I dressed for comfort, but my younger sister was always getting yelled at because she liked wearing short-shorts and tight jeans, lol.

WHILE GROWING UP, MOM WAS A THRIFTY SHOPPER. WE GOT HAND ME DOWNS, SECOND HAND, WHATEVER FIT YA CLOTHING UNTIL WE COULD BUY OUR OWN.

KIDS TODAY ARE DRESSED LIKE FASHION DESIGNERS! SO...WHAT DID YOU WEAR GROWING UP? DID YOU GET NEW CLOTHES? RUMMAGE SALE ITEMS? DID YOU GET TO PICK YOUR OWN "STYLE" AS A KID? OR WERE YOU DOOMED AS I WAS AND HAVE A MOM WHO THOUGHT CORDUROY PANTS FROM THE RUMMAGE SALE WERE HIGH FASHION?
View attachment 31386

Hey! I remember my corduroy slacks! That was when I was a little kid. The best ones were purple like a more stylish Hulk.

Reactions: ozentity
I was a cheap kid. I wore jeans and a T-shirt everywhere except to church. When the knees on the jeans wore out they became cut-offs and were my normal summer wear. I hated shoes so in the summer I wore cutoffs, t-shirts and that was it. When I had to wear shoes they were cowboy boots dress pants and a dress shirt for church and well-worn tennis shoes two sizes too big or well-worn cowboy boots. The boots were the only thing that they made back then that were made in EEE widths. Just call me bigfoot!!! I wore flip-flops a lot too. Maybe they made regular shoes in EEE but they were hard to find and my feet are not made for mail order shoes. Once I broke a pair of shoes in I tried hard not to wear them out. Good cowboy boots last for decades. You just get new soles and heals every few years. They were expensive as hell but in the long term were less expensive than new shoes every 6 months to a year. Even today I have church boots, daily wear boots, and old beat-up working boots. They DO make wide tennis shoes now though.

Reactions: Benway
I was a cheap kid. I wore jeans and a T-shirt everywhere except to church. When the knees on the jeans wore out they became cut-offs and were my normal summer wear. I hated shoes so in the summer I wore cutoffs, t-shirts and that was it. When I had to wear shoes they were cowboy boots dress pants and a dress shirt for church and well-worn tennis shoes two sizes too big or well-worn cowboy boots. The boots were the only thing that they made back then that were made in EEE widths. Just call me bigfoot!!! I wore flip-flops a lot too. Maybe they made regular shoes in EEE but they were hard to find and my feet are not made for mail order shoes. Once I broke a pair of shoes in I tried hard not to wear them out. Good cowboy boots last for decades. You just get new soles and heals every few years. They were expensive as hell but in the long term were less expensive than new shoes every 6 months to a year. Even today I have church boots, daily wear boots, and old beat-up working boots. They DO make wide tennis shoes now though.
I have two kids with size 14 OR 15 triple wide feet. You're right....Bigfoot lives here. When they were little I used to threaten to glue there shoes onto their feet...they never left them on. Then they had to go and point out their mom was always barefoot unless she had to go someplace in the car. Ooops. Busted.

Reactions: Benway
School wear was not a thing from the age of seven as most British schools have a uniform, so I learned to tie a tie at age seven and wore a navy blue v-neck jumper over a light blue shirt with gold tie and dark trousers starting then. I complained about it, but my mum explained that it was to get used to having to dress up to go to work. I said that made no sense as it was just shifting getting used to annoying things earlier and made no difference other than making me wear a tie earlier for no reason. But it wasn't optional.
From eleven, new school and charcoal blazer over white or pale blue shirt with a very dark blue tie with thin red stripes, then at sixteen the same with the sixth form elite tie; black with the school symbol repeated in white. Could have been worse; our rival school had a dark pink uniform (the boys insisted that it was some subtle shade apart from pink, but they would!) The girls uniform looked great, but the boys all looked ridiculous.

Reactions: Duke