You stole my drive space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
I doubt this case goes anywhere, but I'd like to see the guy win. It irritates me that hard drives only give you about 90% of the storage size advertized on the box because of preloaded software that I don't want in the first place; and you can't reclaim the space. Maybe a win over Apple would lead to HD manufacturers either giving a true storage size, or leaving the software off altogether.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30655176

I wonder where "truth in advertising" fits in? I also wonder whether a class action suit would make a difference here. Good find Surge.

Reactions: surge
It irritates me that hard drives only give you about 90% of the storage size advertized on the box because of preloaded software.
Wait, what?! That happens? What's a newbie like me supposed to do?

Newbie question: If you delete the programing that you didn't want, do you get the space back?

Wait, what?! That happens? What's a newbie like me supposed to do?
Newbie question: If you delete the programing that you didn't want, do you get the space back?

I think most manufacturers these days install backup software at the factory. I'm sure some people actually use it, but I don't because I already have my own backup regime that I follow. For most people it's not that big a deal... it's just annoying to me is all.

If there is a way to reclaim the space, I haven't found it. The software is installed on a hidden partition, so your computer never knows it's there. Reformatting doesn't do anything, either. It's a long-standing practice, and like I said, nothing for most folks to worry about. I just find it personally offensive, and we all need our windmills with which to tilt. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.