You can die from "giving up"

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
You can die from 'give-up-itis': Doctor warns many pass away when they simply stop trying in life | Daily Mail Online

(Debi's note...it can and does happen. Almost happened to me. How about you?)

You can die from 'give-up-itis': People often pass away because they've simply 'given up', doctor warns as he gives five tell-tale signs to look out for
  • Person can die in as little as three days after a traumatic life event
  • 'Give-up-itis' was coined in the Korean war to describe prisoners-of-war
  • Changes activity in the brain region that motivates people to care for themselves
Full story at site and worth the read

Reactions: ozentity
I can see this happening. Severe stress can mess up your immune system long term if it’s not put in check. And I do believe that there needs to be some level of self preservation for you to stick around. A lot of the people that “didn’t ask to be born” don’t live very long. If not by suicide, it’s lonliness, cancer, or some autoimmune issues.

A lot of people do t realize how vital mental health is when it comes o health and longevity.

Man are you guys really onto something here. I can make myself physically ill by just worrying a little bit. Then a friend will come over and talk. Or I'll have to go out to the garden and water or feed the livestock. I drag out, but by the time I walk in I notice "hey, I don't feel as bad". It's really good to practice shutting down internal dialogue. It is for me at least.

Just yesterday a friend who knows I'm dealing with a serious illness said "don't give up", just as I was climbing into my truck. He had tears in his eyes. "Just don't give up, please..." I went home and cried. The last couple of days I've felt under attack, making it worse. I got a buzzing sound in my ear that I've had a number of times before where right after something paranormal will happen...like a TV turning on, an item flying off a shelf. This time my new cellphone all charged up beside me went down to nothing in an instant and the "low power" warning came on. All day plagued with negative thinking. I think there's some truth to energetic parasites some talk about latching themselves onto people to nudge them "just give up!"

Man are you guys really onto something here. I can make myself physically ill by just worrying a little bit. Then a friend will come over and talk. Or I'll have to go out to the garden and water or feed the livestock. I drag out, but by the time I walk in I notice "hey, I don't feel as bad". It's really good to practice shutting down internal dialogue. It is for me at least.

Just yesterday a friend who knows I'm dealing with a serious illness said "don't give up", just as I was climbing into my truck. He had tears in his eyes. "Just don't give up, please..." I went home and cried. The last couple of days I've felt under attack, making it worse. I got a buzzing sound in my ear that I've had a number of times before where right after something paranormal will happen...like a TV turning on, an item flying off a shelf. This time my new cellphone all charged up beside me went down to nothing in an instant and the "low power" warning came on. All day plagued with negative thinking. I think there's some truth to energetic parasites some talk about latching themselves onto people to nudge them "just give up!"
Mrs Cooper, I very recently was "under attack" by what some may see only as a virus but I feel was something much more. I kept going down hill, and the members here were seriously worried about my decline. At one point I was ready to give up. Until I heard my name called three times (out of nowhere) and decided I had to fight back. This got so bad that I landed in the hospital the beginning of August in respiratory arrest...not breathing. At that point, I had a visit from one I call an angel and was asked if I wanted it to end or I was willing to fight and complete my job here. I chose to fight back and be here. That's the long story short, but I will tell you that despite being left with lung damage and on 02, I am still here, doing well, and I have shut out all that negative dialogue.

Keep your spirit up and open to life, Mrs Cooper. Fight on, my friend. Don't allow the darkness to take over and tell it to leave you. You have my prayers.

That's a great thing to happen and some great advice Debi,I hope you and Mrs Cooper make a full recovery which I feel you will with that thinking..

I tried to drink myself to death and it didn't work. I believe God was punishing me for giving up because i came to a place where I couldn't drink at all and I had to do is think I still was giving up but i read a lot I mean a lot and i learned a lot of things that don't matter to many and it has made me into an annoying person to talk to because I read everything from the entire newspaper to the bible to vanity fair cosmo, rolling stone you name it if it was around I read it and when you comment on something someone says and they think they are being unique I probably read about it somewhere and people don't like it when you understand what they are talking about a lot of the time. So, now I have not given up on myself, now it's like I give up on finding decent human beings that won't throw you under the bus for self-gain.
You know the EULA's on software? I read every one I ever encountered. End user license agreement (EULA) you can't get much more boring than an EULA so, instead of finding myself which was my ultimate goal I found the human race who is much like a heard of sheep waiting for someone or something to come there way and make it through one more day. So (notice most sentences begin with so i this comment?) I am now looking for a good way to live and die with honor not for the simple fact i want to be remembered I just want to prove all the people in my past life that I wasn't a looser/satan worshiper/drunk/bum/ idiot/attention seeker that they were wrong and maybe if they step outside their comfort zone they will find that it doesn't take a huge drama scene to realize stepping inside the shoes of someone who has given up can teach them a lot. Everyone has an agenda whether it be good or bad they want it to be to their advantage and sometimes I let them have it for w/e reason. Convincing someone to be grateful for what they have is the hardest thing you can ever do because only the ones that have lost it all can truly appreciate everything. Have you ever envied someone's problems? I have I had no life it seemed at one point and the stories i read on facebook at that time made me envy everyday problems because I didn't have any. I had nothing, when you live with relatives to get back on your feet they constantly remind you that you should be grateful for them even though they push and nag you for favors 24/7 and it leaves you with nothing of your own because although you are staying in a huge mansion type house and everything there is li8ke a dream come true it isn't yours.
So, (I know right?) You finally to back to the point to where you were and it's all good but the wheel starts all over again and it's up to you to stop it. Don't let them in, be nice but do unto others as you would have them do unto blah blah.. So, They can no longer control you because you no longer care and BAM! now they love you again and you are the greatest thing since poweraid and five o'clock vodka and even though they cant fathomthe thought of power aid and five o'clock vodka they still want a sip but don't let them have one because if you do they tell you it sucks.

Thanks for the support folks.

Armand, it's interesting what you wrote. An addict I know who is struggling to get clean has a saying written in his house. "To thine own self be true". It's a variation of the Satanists creed "Do as thou whilst shall be the whole of the law". One of the hallmarks of addiction is the withdrawal into substance so deeply that it becomes an all-encompassing obsession to the exclusion of all other normal aspects of human interaction of give & take. Put succinctly, addicts become neurotically-selfish. So any addict espousing not giving to others is an addict on the verge of relapse. This addict has been so "true" to himself (broken, addicted, compulsive, myopic) that literally every drama and problem in his life can be traced to his using good people up to an absurd degree so he can stay in substances: working his enablers to death without a single shred of concern to how that is killing them. And of course, if there's drama manufactured even, it becomes a source of stress and the perfect excuse to go use...

This is why in program they tell addicts that it's a disease of selfishness. Because it is. I've met few addicts who even in recovery have been in danger of "giving too much" to others; unless they suffer from co-addiction and enabling, if they've lived with another addict. So, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is the antidote to "To thine own self be true" for an addict. Also, don't resent the favors done or accommodations given you while you pull yourself up. Resentment is another bugger for relapse. Would you want any success you achieve to be darkly envied or hated by others? "Do unto others...".

As a final note, some enablers subconsciously enjoy their addicts demise. When my ex of many years ago was trying to quit drinking and went into an in-house treatment center, he actually succeeded for a good stint of time. He relapsed not long after his sister kept complaining to me "I just want my old brother back". She was the angel child of the two children and when he was a full on drunk, she always shone with their parents in comparison. Easy as pie. She didn't have to do anything special or work hard at any self-improvement because my ex always was the dark background against which she shone. The parents had a similar take of denial of the seriousness of his condition and decided the old dysfunctional balance worked for them too. (After all, poor angel-baby was complaining that I was "taking their old family member away"). Even after years of putting up with his drinking, stealing from me and our two kids, falling short on his obligations in every way, I still stood by him in recovery. When his sister started complaining she wanted her old brother back, that's when I divorced him, after he relapsed. The writing was on the wall: he would never be sober because his enablers had a specific place for his miserable condition in their lives and they were not willing to give that up. At the end of my rope I had no more energy to try to fight that Goliath.

Just some thoughts. Hopefully encouraging and enlightening ones to keep you on the path to staying sober by recognizing obvious and even hidden enemies to your sobriety.

Reactions: 7Critter
Mrs Cooper, I very recently was "under attack" by what some may see only as a virus but I feel was something much more. I kept going down hill, and the members here were seriously worried about my decline. At one point I was ready to give up. Until I heard my name called three times (out of nowhere) and decided I had to fight back. This got so bad that I landed in the hospital the beginning of August in respiratory arrest...not breathing. At that point, I had a visit from one I call an angel and was asked if I wanted it to end or I was willing to fight and complete my job here. I chose to fight back and be here. That's the long story short, but I will tell you that despite being left with lung damage and on 02, I am still here, doing well, and I have shut out all that negative dialogue.

Keep your spirit up and open to life, Mrs Cooper. Fight on, my friend. Don't allow the darkness to take over and tell it to leave you. You have my prayers.
That's an amazing account Debi. I had no idea. Yes, viruses, cancer and so on can take hold and bloom in a person's body when an entity doesn't want them around. Glad you stuck around. I have people who have envied/hated my hard won achievements to such a degree that they have actively put curses on me. Three of the women, my envious sister, my envious neighbor and an envious ex girlfriend of a guy I'm seeing have openly embraced witchcraft and dark rituals.

All three have expressed hatred of me; and have wished me dead. My older sister for my simply being born and her being shoved out of "only daughter" position. My neighbor for my stumbling into buying a property she and her husband were trying to sue the previous owner into bankruptcy to steal at a song. The ex-girlfriend for obvious reasons: she still wants him and even after his getting a restraining order, refuses to stop coming by and assaulting him for seeing me. (She's finally in jail now). I noticed on this last one, since she went to jail, my health conditions have been getting worse. Probably filling her time making voodoo dolls out of toilet paper rolls and lint in her cell. I've done protective stuff, but outside prayers also help. When several people get together and pray for someone under attack, it makes it really hard for the attacker to continue. Love, compassion and prayer are like poison to a demonic influence.

So I'll pray for you too.

Thanks for the support folks.

Armand, it's interesting what you wrote. An addict I know who is struggling to get clean has a saying written in his house. "To thine own self be true". It's a variation of the Satanists creed "Do as thou whilst shall be the whole of the law". One of the hallmarks of addiction is the withdrawal into substance so deeply that it becomes an all-encompassing obsession to the exclusion of all other normal aspects of human interaction of give & take. Put succinctly, addicts become neurotically-selfish. So any addict espousing not giving to others is an addict on the verge of relapse. This addict has been so "true" to himself (broken, addicted, compulsive, myopic) that literally every drama and problem in his life can be traced to his using good people up to an absurd degree so he can stay in substances: working his enablers to death without a single shred of concern to how that is killing them. And of course, if there's drama manufactured even, it becomes a source of stress and the perfect excuse to go use...

This is why in program they tell addicts that it's a disease of selfishness. Because it is. I've met few addicts who even in recovery have been in danger of "giving too much" to others; unless they suffer from co-addiction and enabling, if they've lived with another addict. So, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is the antidote to "To thine own self be true" for an addict. Also, don't resent the favors done or accommodations given you while you pull yourself up. Resentment is another bugger for relapse. Would you want any success you achieve to be darkly envied or hated by others? "Do unto others...".

As a final note, some enablers subconsciously enjoy their addicts demise. When my ex of many years ago was trying to quit drinking and went into an in-house treatment center, he actually succeeded for a good stint of time. He relapsed not long after his sister kept complaining to me "I just want my old brother back". She was the angel child of the two children and when he was a full on drunk, she always shone with their parents in comparison. Easy as pie. She didn't have to do anything special or work hard at any self-improvement because my ex always was the dark background against which she shone. The parents had a similar take of denial of the seriousness of his condition and decided the old dysfunctional balance worked for them too. (After all, poor angel-baby was complaining that I was "taking their old family member away"). Even after years of putting up with his drinking, stealing from me and our two kids, falling short on his obligations in every way, I still stood by him in recovery. When his sister started complaining she wanted her old brother back, that's when I divorced him, after he relapsed. The writing was on the wall: he would never be sober because his enablers had a specific place for his miserable condition in their lives and they were not willing to give that up. At the end of my rope I had no more energy to try to fight that Goliath.

Just some thoughts. Hopefully encouraging and enlightening ones to keep you on the path to staying sober by recognizing obvious and even hidden enemies to your sobriety.
Thanks for sharing.