Yes? No?

Salt on Mellon ? BIG NO. I never liked watermelon until later in life. My family always encouraged salt with it and I didn't like it. Later, I tried it plain. YUMMY. It is so naturally sweet, it needs nothing else. I eat all kinds of Mellon.

Reactions: ozentity
Even the military knows how important hot sauce is to the morale of the troops and they include it in the MREs.

If you want a watermelon with a punch cut a small hole in it and stick a bottle of moonshine in the hole until it is empty and then put the plug back in and chill it overnight until it is ice cold!!!

Reactions: Paulm
Even the military knows how important hot sauce is to the morale of the troops and they include it in the MREs.

If you want a watermelon with a punch cut a small hole in it and stick a bottle of moonshine in the hole until it is empty and then put the plug back in and chill it overnight until it is ice cold!!!
Also works with vodka...;)

Reactions: Paulm
We used moonshine or Everclear that way the taste was not greatly affected. Real moonshine is like Everclear and is almost pure alcohol. It also doesn't take as much to do the deed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman
QUOTE]

Haha, I always figured it was because the owner of the tobasco co.'s great grandson was a brigadier general.....lol.....but yeah, I used to love the little bottle of tobasco in them.....now they are no longer actual bottles but foil packets, like mustard or ketchup....just not the same cool factor.lol

Reactions: Paintman
Salt makes everything better.
Potatoes - yes. Fruit - no. I know that you put a dash of salt in cookie recipes, but fruit is so naturally delicious and sweet. It needs nothing added. I even get Mrs Critter to cut down the sugar added when she bakes to let the natural sweetness come thru. I admit this is a struggle between her and I.

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
Potatoes - yes. Fruit - no. I know that you put a dash of salt in cookie recipes, but fruit is so naturally delicious and sweet. It needs nothing added. I even get Mrs Critter to cut down the sugar added when she bakes to let the natural sweetness come thru. I admit this is a struggle between her and I.
Critter - think about the infrequent times you get a less than desirable melon. My family’s income always road along the line between upper-lower-class and lower-middle-class. We ate everything we could get regardless of ripeness. So toss in Lynne’s “salt makes everything taste better” philosophy and apply that to a somewhat flavorless melon and you can have - though only some may agree - a more edible melon.

At worst =
;vo