WW2 Bomb Explodes in German field

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvd3dpaS1ib21iLWNyYXRlci8xMTE0OTYwLTEtZW5nLVVTL1dXSUktQm9tYi1DcmF0ZXIuanBn

Residents of a town in Germany were shaken this weekend when a bomb from World War II suddenly exploded and left behind a massive crater in a field. The bizarre event reportedly occurred at around four in the morning on Saturday in the community of Ahlbach. Much to the consternation of those who were asleep at that hour, a massive blast shattered their slumber and a rumble resembling an earthquake swept across the area.

When authorities investigated the matter the following morning, they were amazed to find a crater measuring 33 feet in diameter and 13 feet deep had appeared in a farmer's field. Police were initially dumbfounded by the discovery, conceding that they were uncertain as to how it could have been formed. However, a subsequent examination by ordnance experts determined that the crater had "almost certainly" been the result of a World War II bomb that had been a dud decades ago.

Why the device blew up over the weekend is uncertain, but experts say that it was likely equipped with a detonator that decomposed over time and finally triggered on Saturday morning. Explosions of undetonated bombs are surprisingly not uncommon in Germany as one official noted that such events statistically occur around once a year. That said, they assured residents that the odds of someone falling victim to one of the blasts are "less than being struck by a lightning bolt."

WWII Bomb Explodes in German Field - Coast to Coast AM

I wonder if they envisaged this when they dropped bombs all those years ago.I can only imagine what Vietnam is like.

There is a regular "Iron Harvest" every year on the battlefields of France. They line up the munitions and wait for bomb disposal to remove them.

Reminds me of a true story that happened after a chip shop bought a load of french potatoes. Strange rattling sound came from the potato rumbler so they switched it off to investigate. They quickly left the building when they discovered it was an unexploded grenade. Made the papers.

WOW....that is a slow fuse....at least no one was harmed...shame 75 years later and Germany is still being bombed. repercussions of war are lasting

WOW....that is a slow fuse....at least no one was harmed...shame 75 years later and Germany is still being bombed. repercussions of war are lasting

Unexploded munitions ("UXM" in Brit military speak) are still found fairly routinely in the UK as well. I subscribe to the magazine "Britian at War," and every few months there is an article about a bomb or mine being discovered and detonated by EOD personnel.

I used to go on holiday every year to the Devon coast as a kid. One time the beach was closed because there was a mine washed up. So they are still out there. Quite a lot of the Falkland islands are still closed to the public because of landmines, but the penguin colonies are now doing very well as there are no people to bother them.

There was a recent story of a coin collector digging in the woods and had an old grenade from World War 1 detonate on him
He was wounded and it probably really hurt but he is going to live.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
There was a recent story of a coin collector digging in the woods and had an old grenade from World War 1 detonate on him
He was wounded and it probably really hurt but he is going to live.

For the last dozen or so years, it's not been uncommon for munitions, grenades and mortar rounds primarily, to be found among the personal effects of WWII veterans after their death.

For the last dozen or so years, it's not been uncommon for munitions, grenades and mortar rounds primarily, to be found among the personal effects of WWII veterans after their death.
Live?