Would you move...

Wow ... For a little more than ten years, my immediate family (wife and daughter) lived on the road (because of my research work) - most of the time staying in campgrounds. We have probably camped in every contiguous state in the continental U.S. and one protectorate. Although we might occasionally visit family or friends when we passed through certain states, most of the time we were just meeting new people. It has it's benefits and difficulties ... we absolutely loved seeing all the different areas and most people were friendly ... but then there were a few shady characters, bad weather events, and the lack of long-term friends who really know you well.

I once read an article by a missionary and he stated that it "is hard to describe home, but issues of National Geographic make you homesick" ... that is about the best summary I have heard.

I have spent my life in one spot so I can’t imagine being away from my family. I make friends easily but being away from the people I love would be a sacrifice I hope I never have to make.

Yes I would. Location is everything to me and you can always make new friends. As long as you make an effort to keep in touch with and visit your old friends and your family, then I think it's ok. The only exception would be if I needed to stay put to care for elderly or sick parents.

WOULD YOU RELOCATE TO AN AREA WHERE YOU HAD NO FAMILY OR FRIENDS?

HAVE YOU DONE THIS BEFORE?
HOW MANY PLACES HAVE YOU LIVED?
I would not move now that I am hoping to retire soon and have a house close to a lot of my family.

The first time I moved to a town where I knew no one was when my kids were 5 and 8. Actually it was a few days before my youngest daughter's 6th birthday. My cousin lived in a town about 40 miles away and my mother's childhood friend lived in a town about 20 miles away and they were the only people I knew in the area. I had to have a better job and was not finding any one in the area I lived in before the move. I lived there for 3 years, during which my mother got a job in that town for one school year and later my uncle got a job in that town and he and my aunt moved across the street and down a few houses from me. So eventually I did have relatives and I made a few friends, one that I am still in touch with.

The reason I only stayed 3 years was because the town was crazy. The job was great and I liked my co-workers but I did not fit in that town. My younger daughter came home from school in second grade and said something that made me realize I did not want the influences of the people in that town over shadowing what I believed (it was a racist comment). In fact, the neighbor across the street came over one saturday in a tizzy because she found out that the very nice man that she thought was her "friend's" yard man, was actually the woman's husband. She was the only one who didn't realize that and she had coffee with the woman every weekday morning after the kids went to school. I asked her why she thought the man kept his car in her driveway (his driveway) and she said she though he didn't have a place to keep it. Amazing how racists (or anyone) can ignore very obvious clues because it doesn't fit with their view of who people are.

Anyway, when my youngest was in high school I moved from home again to Dallas, Tx for the same reason, needed a better paying job. I loved that area and the job except for the 11 hour drive to visit family. I was there 12 years and when my mother got sick I moved back home to take care of her. After she died I went back to that area for a job but at that point I was paying for my mother's house and paying rent so I asked if I could work remotely and they said yes. Sometimes moving to someplace where you don't know anyone is a good thing, and even if it isn't there is something to learn about the world and about yourself.

I would not move now that I am hoping to retire soon and have a house close to a lot of my family.

The first time I moved to a town where I knew no one was when my kids were 5 and 8. Actually it was a few days before my youngest daughter's 6th birthday. My cousin lived in a town about 40 miles away and my mother's childhood friend lived in a town about 20 miles away and they were the only people I knew in the area. I had to have a better job and was not finding any one in the area I lived in before the move. I lived there for 3 years, during which my mother got a job in that town for one school year and later my uncle got a job in that town and he and my aunt moved across the street and down a few houses from me. So eventually I did have relatives and I made a few friends, one that I am still in touch with.

The reason I only stayed 3 years was because the town was crazy. The job was great and I liked my co-workers but I did not fit in that town. My younger daughter came home from school in second grade and said something that made me realize I did not want the influences of the people in that town over shadowing what I believed (it was a racist comment). In fact, the neighbor across the street came over one saturday in a tizzy because she found out that the very nice man that she thought was her "friend's" yard man, was actually the woman's husband. She was the only one who didn't realize that and she had coffee with the woman every weekday morning after the kids went to school. I asked her why she thought the man kept his car in her driveway (his driveway) and she said she though he didn't have a place to keep it. Amazing how racists (or anyone) can ignore very obvious clues because it doesn't fit with their view of who people are.

Anyway, when my youngest was in high school I moved from home again to Dallas, Tx for the same reason, needed a better paying job. I loved that area and the job except for the 11 hour drive to visit family. I was there 12 years and when my mother got sick I moved back home to take care of her. After she died I went back to that area for a job but at that point I was paying for my mother's house and paying rent so I asked if I could work remotely and they said yes. Sometimes moving to someplace where you don't know anyone is a good thing, and even if it isn't there is something to learn about the world and about yourself.
Not sure if i would classify that as racist, maybe oblivious lol. I had a neighbor park directly in front of my driveway and when my parents were living up here, my mother of course confronted them and told they had better move it before i got home lol. They claimed they didn't think anyone lived here lol...uh...i am here EVERY night give or take a few nights i don't come home...but still. So when i got home and heard the story, i walked right over there and knocked on the door and introduced myself as the guy that lives in the house nobody lives at rofl...Can i speak to your husband when he gets a chance. He never...ever...accepted my invitation lol.

People (not all) live in their little bubble worlds. Many are quite oblivious to anything outside that confining bubble. It's sad, but it became even more pronounced during and after Covid.

Last edited:
Not sure if i would classify that as racist, maybe oblivious lol. I had a neighbor park directly in front of my driveway and when my parents were living up here, my mother of course confronted them and told they had better move it before i got home lol. They claimed they didn't think anyone lived here lol...uh...i am here EVERY night give or take a few nights i don't come home...but still. So when i got home and heard the story, i walked right over there and knocked on the door and introduced myself as the guy that lives in the house nobody lives at rofl...Can i speak to your husband when he gets a chance. He never...ever...accepted my invitation lol.
Well, the details of what the neighbor man looked like were left to the imagination, but trust me it was racist. The wife was "white" (which I prefer to call pink/beige) and the husband was "black" (had some african ancestors). I was not raised in a place where people got upset about that sort of thing. While I lived in that town the office secretary, who was my age, we graduated highschool in 1974, complained to me about how she missed her friend. She wanted to tell the story because it was an out of the blue complaint. Of course I asked what happened (I thought maybe she died or something), but the story was that her friend married a black man and her family had disowned her and her friends, including this person telling the story, had dumped her. I got angry and told her "Well, she may have been your friend, but you certainly were not hers." I can't even understand attitudes like that and I did not want my children thinking that was normal.

• Sad
Reactions: Selectric
Except for a year in Vegas as a kid, I have lived my entire life in northern Utah. I have a very small extended family, 4 siblings and only 3 of them had kids. All of my siblings who had kids only had one, myself included. So there is no place to move to, with more family. Another generation and the line may die out completely if the kids don't start having their own. Not looking likely. Right now, it's not looking good for me to ever have grandkids.

Except for a year in Vegas as a kid, I have lived my entire life in northern Utah. I have a very small extended family, 4 siblings and only 3 of them had kids. All of my siblings who had kids only had one, myself included. So there is no place to move to, with more family. Another generation and the line may die out completely if the kids don't start having their own. Not looking likely. Right now, it's not looking good for me to ever have grandkids.
That is sad. My brother was in that boat then his 41 year old son married last year and they are expecting their first child in October. We really thought it would not happen but he just had to find the right partner. His other son will not have kids. My sister and I each have 2. And both of my girls have 2 children. My sister onlly has one grand child. It is the way things are going in the U.S. now.