World's Oldest Pet Cemetery?

This was an interesting article. However the writer seems detached to the idea that a working animal could be a pet. I think there is even more of a bond with these animals. The author seems to think it’s too much of a jump to assume these animals were pets but I disagree. Human nature is to form bonds with what is around us. Jeeze people even made pets out of rocks and small robotic stuffed animals (furbies) in our time. The fact that these animals had signs of long time living with their humans tells me they were domesticated. I’m buying into the pet cemetery idea.

Reactions: Cat Man
This was an interesting article. However the writer seems detached to the idea that a working animal could be a pet. I think there is even more of a bond with these animals. The author seems to think it’s too much of a jump to assume these animals were pets but I disagree. Human nature is to form bonds with what is around us. Jeeze people even made pets out of rocks and small robotic stuffed animals (furbies) in our time. The fact that these animals had signs of long time living with their humans tells me they were domesticated. I’m buying into the pet cemetery idea.
I agree with you, Lynne.

Reactions: Lynne and Cat Man
I was glad they brought up the subject of animals that do work for us at all. I'm not sure what the view in the ancient world was of draft animals like mules who pulled plows because I haven't ever really delved into that. I do know that in ancient societies the harvest from the field was considered sacred. The harvests in ancient Egypt were kept in the temple granary and guarded by priests. Stealing grain from there was not just a civil crime but a sin against the gods. The draft animals in these societies must have had a special place in the communities they served. I know that many animals served important roles for their human host communities (controlling vermin, protection from intruders, human or otherwise, and as guides in hunting). Horses that pulled chariots in the ancient world were considered spiritually endowed due to their role in battle. Look at what reverence is paid in our society to "canine officers" when they pass away, especially if it's in the line of duty. They sometimes these dogs receive honors similar to those of fallen police personnel.

I think there is a lot to be considered when we examine our love of domesticated animals as it relates to shared labor with humans and overall benefit to society (past and present).

Reactions: Debi
In the past when most people lived in rural areas animals were a part of the family and everyone in the family worked. cats kept the rats under control and out of the stores while dogs protected the small livestock from predators. Pets that have no real purpose is a relatively new concept actually. In the past, the partnership we had with animals was possibly even closer than what is common now. Animals' relations with people in the past were based on a sort of mutual dependency where now they are more like teddy bears with little real purpose.

All farms had horses, cattle, chickens, dogs and cats and all sorts of other creatures all working together and interdependent. The dogs and cats earned their keep while at the same time were almost full members of the family.

I think that the big change in their place has to do with how we perceived them. Dogs and cats now are treated like small children and have little expected of them where a farm dog or cat were adult contributing members.

Reactions: Cat Man and Debi