Woolly Mammoth returning?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvd29vbGx5LW1hbW1vdGgvOTU1MzA2LTEtZW5nLVVTL1dvb2xseS1NYW1tb3RoLmpwZw==

A team of researchers in Japan have taken a significant step towards possibly bringing the long-extinct woolly mammoth back to life. The breakthrough reportedly came when scientists managed to extract cell nuclei from the frozen remains of one of the famed creatures that had been recovered from the permafrost of Siberia. Incredibly, in what sounds like a scene from a science fiction film, when this 28,000-year-old material was injected into mouse ova, it began to stir.

Specifically, the researchers say that, in 5 out of 43 instances, a "pronucleus-like structure budded" from the cross-millennial concoction containing the ancient mammoth material. Although the biological process stopped short of the next step, which would be cell division, the scientists were hopeful that the activity indicated that the damaged cell nuclei could be naturally repaired. The team now hope to move beyond where their experiment came to an end and cautioned that their results are almost more of a 'proof of concept' at this point.

To that end, before one starts imagining a world in which the iconic creatures once again roam the planet, one of the scientists behind the project flatly stated that "it would be difficult to resurrect a mammoth as things stand." He pointed to the extensive damaged inflicted upon the DNA from this particular specimen due to it being frozen for so long, but posited that "there's a chance, if we can obtain better-preserved nuclei." With that in mind, we'll keep our fingers crossed that someone in Siberia will stumble upon a more pristine mammoth carcass which wiould allow for the long-dreamed-of scenario of reviving the legendary creature to finally happen.

Reactions: ozentity and Mokey
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvd29vbGx5LW1hbW1vdGgvOTU1MzA2LTEtZW5nLVVTL1dvb2xseS1NYW1tb3RoLmpwZw==

A team of researchers in Japan have taken a significant step towards possibly bringing the long-extinct woolly mammoth back to life. The breakthrough reportedly came when scientists managed to extract cell nuclei from the frozen remains of one of the famed creatures that had been recovered from the permafrost of Siberia. Incredibly, in what sounds like a scene from a science fiction film, when this 28,000-year-old material was injected into mouse ova, it began to stir.

Specifically, the researchers say that, in 5 out of 43 instances, a "pronucleus-like structure budded" from the cross-millennial concoction containing the ancient mammoth material. Although the biological process stopped short of the next step, which would be cell division, the scientists were hopeful that the activity indicated that the damaged cell nuclei could be naturally repaired. The team now hope to move beyond where their experiment came to an end and cautioned that their results are almost more of a 'proof of concept' at this point.

To that end, before one starts imagining a world in which the iconic creatures once again roam the planet, one of the scientists behind the project flatly stated that "it would be difficult to resurrect a mammoth as things stand." He pointed to the extensive damaged inflicted upon the DNA from this particular specimen due to it being frozen for so long, but posited that "there's a chance, if we can obtain better-preserved nuclei." With that in mind, we'll keep our fingers crossed that someone in Siberia will stumble upon a more pristine mammoth carcass which wiould allow for the long-dreamed-of scenario of reviving the legendary creature to finally happen.

You have got to be kidding me. I have a damn love hate thing with this woolly mammoth that they dug up in Siberia a bazillion years ago.

Once, it wasn't that long ago but it was about 18, and then they never updated it ever!!

It was a whole long documentary, I think it was on Discovery channel or something.

I remember I was married at the time and we watched together.. and we were both like 'oh this is so cool I can't wait for the next documentary on what they do with the possible DNA, if they can extract it.'

Waited. Waited. Year. Two. 5, 10, 15...18 damn years. I can't even feel closure at this point. LMAO

I will be making a phone call to the ex-husband in the morning to update him on this news. I then expect to have a 3-hour ranting and raving phone call. Hey, after all these years at least we can still bond and get along over something right?

Grrr
Both of us to this day still have serious grudges against that damn dead mammoth!

Cool, lets bring it back to a world that has no habitat for free roaming elephants.Then to preserve them they can have big game hunters pay huge money to hunt the poor beasts in a fenced area.Humans need to address the poor state of this planet before bringing in extinct species to suffer along with our present megafauna.

Reactions: Mokey
Cool, lets bring it back to a world that has no habitat for free roaming elephants.Then to preserve them they can have big game hunters pay huge money to hunt the poor beasts in a fenced area.Humans need to address the poor state of this planet before bringing in extinct species to suffer along with our present megafauna.
I know!
and that is what is so frustrating.

Why did it take so long, every year it kept going on I was sure they would at least have released some information about it... and update anything even if no significant.

What did they study and find.
This is just so ridiculous.

At this point it wouldn't even surprise me if during these 18 years they already cloned the damn thing, and it's an adult now. then they're going to show it off at a world's fair or some damn thing!

Reactions: ozentity
I know!
and that is what is so frustrating.

Why did it take so long, every year it kept going on I was sure they would at least have released some information about it... and update anything even if no significant.

What did they study and find.
This is just so ridiculous.

At this point it wouldn't even surprise me if during these 18 years they already cloned the damn thing, and it's an adult now. then they're going to show it off at a world's fair or some damn thing!
Its almost getting that way with animals like tigers.They breed them knowing they can never be released,just to be looked at in a zoo,to make us feel better that they still exist when we have destroyed their habitat.The animals are no longer tigers, just big tame pussycats.I feel ashamed to be human sometimes.

Its almost getting that way with animals like tigers.They breed them knowing they can never be released,just to be looked at in a zoo,to make us feel better that they still exist when we have destroyed their habitat.The animals are no longer tigers, just big tame pussycats.I feel ashamed to be human sometimes.

Yes the shame is a normal reaction. However if you want to try and turn things around don't focus on that aspect itself, you did not have anything to do with this personally.

If you want to have youry voice heard, take alla if that emotion and push it outward with anger. Anger fuels you up, pumps you up, and it lets you see even more of how bad the situation really is. the adrenaline is a rush that can be used to your advantage, you'll feel the need to be of more service.. To any cause or Injustice you feel so strongly about that you want to do your part to help. It also gets people talking.

Debi probably going to delete this thread yikes lol. I'm not saying take to the streets and start punching people and beatinh people out of anger and inciting violence everywhere.

Nope, what I am talking to about is catching the attention of other people with that passion. A ripple effect. Also, I know some people just are not able to come across as ''a hell no we won't go'. it's difficult for me to understand but apparently there are actually kind calm peaceful people around this big circle we take for granted every day and destroy more more.:p got off track, sorry

Think of ways that draw positive attention to such situations. There is so much doom and gloom that if you go in to any sort of activist type of situation, it is and mostly always was pretty weak and hopeless. I'm talking all sorts of causes, by the way

how about protesting with signs and chants that are positive and the good things that can come out of whatever change each protest is for. Okay ya no let's just get real here that's not going to work. Also I find it stupid it dangerous to be protesting all over the place and it slows down traffic while they're looking at everyone all over causing car accident some little kids to be trampled.

I'm sorry, but how long have people been marching, taking and going to the streets with the same old song and dance.

I'm not seeing any big changes that are happening from that unless I'm totally oblivious to world events.

I'm not saying some people aren't getting points across, and I'm not saying that they are not learning in trying to come up with a different strategies. But I don't see any other major alternatives going on. It's been the same thing they are doing for over how many years now... How come they can't come up with a different way. At least new strategies.

what on Earth?
have all of those human emotions let them work through you and if you find at the end you can't stand for it and you want to do something go in hard! Oh, and I'm not directing my tyrade to you personally. It's just one of those things that baffles my mind about society

Reactions: ozentity
If we get that many that worked up we could half the population over night giving the animals more habitat.And your right ,I'm just a whinger.

If we get that many that worked up we could half the population over night giving the animals more habitat.And your right ,I'm just a whinger.

Just being off to the side giving your opinion with no intent other than to rant... It's commentary where people can hear. that is actually helping.

Okay there you go I turned you into an activist.:trophy:

Reactions: ozentity and Paulm