Woolly mammoth fossil found

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Fossil of woolly mammoth discovered in Florida, could be up to 250,000 years old

fossil_1533955793943_94655927_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

APE CORAL, Fla., — A Florida utilities crew discovered a fossil archeologists now believe may be of a woolly mammoth or mastodon.

The crew was digging in a trench 17 feet below the ground in Cape Coral last month.

ADVERTISING
The crew turned over the fossil to the city which brought in archeologists to assess it.

Robert Carr with the Archeological and Historical Conservancy says the fossil fragment was probably part of the mammoth’s humorous bone, or upper arm.

The fossil is roughly one foot long and 10 inches wide.

He estimates the fossil is 12,500 to 250,000 years old, based on similar discoveries.

According to the report, during that time "glacial retreat led to the formation of savannas across Florida and herds of mammoth, bison, antelope, and horse roamed the peninsula."

According to the Florida Museum of Natural History (FMNH), there are only two recorded mammoth fossil sites in Lee County.

However, Carr believes there may be other fossil beds within the city with the remains of other extinct mammals.

The City of Cape Coral plans to donate the fossil to the Cape Coral Historical Museum in the coming months.

Reactions: Herbal Jaguar
This is super cool, it's amazing what our Earth preserves, I find it fascinating.

Just think, the vast majority of our oceans are unchartered as we can't go to the very debpthsof them, just think how many secrets are waiting to be found under there.

I'd love to see the likes of a wooly mammoths to return, I know it will probably never happen due to restrictions on cloniing and the likes. I wouldn't dismiss it being done secretly though somewhere in a lab!

Reactions: Charleh
Fossil of woolly mammoth discovered in Florida, could be up to 250,000 years old

fossil_1533955793943_94655927_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

APE CORAL, Fla., — A Florida utilities crew discovered a fossil archeologists now believe may be of a woolly mammoth or mastodon.

The crew was digging in a trench 17 feet below the ground in Cape Coral last month.

ADVERTISING
The crew turned over the fossil to the city which brought in archeologists to assess it.

Robert Carr with the Archeological and Historical Conservancy says the fossil fragment was probably part of the mammoth’s humorous bone, or upper arm.

The fossil is roughly one foot long and 10 inches wide.

He estimates the fossil is 12,500 to 250,000 years old, based on similar discoveries.

According to the report, during that time "glacial retreat led to the formation of savannas across Florida and herds of mammoth, bison, antelope, and horse roamed the peninsula."

According to the Florida Museum of Natural History (FMNH), there are only two recorded mammoth fossil sites in Lee County.

However, Carr believes there may be other fossil beds within the city with the remains of other extinct mammals.

The City of Cape Coral plans to donate the fossil to the Cape Coral Historical Museum in the coming months.

Just one more reason that I call my home, “The State that time forgot.”

Reactions: Debi
This is super cool, it's amazing what our Earth preserves, I find it fascinating.

Just think, the vast majority of our oceans are unchartered as we can't go to the very debpthsof them, just think how many secrets are waiting to be found under there.

I'd love to see the likes of a wooly mammoths to return, I know it will probably never happen due to restrictions on cloniing and the likes. I wouldn't dismiss it being done secretly though somewhere in a lab!
You just know they're gonna do it if it hasn't been already.

You just know they're gonna do it if it hasn't been already.
There is an active project to do it. They’re slowly building the DNA from fragments.