Woman flees demons

Raises the question whether psychiatrists could/would distinguish between mental illness and possession? Sounds like symptoms of both are similar.
They are. In this case, I know what he's said because of my friend. He claims to not remember what happened due to a blackout after he saw the demon and it spoke to him. This is a guy who had no other criminal history, was from a loving family, and was fixing HVAC at my friend's home the day before the murder. My friend says she sees him change in front of her when she goes to see him Very creepy.

They are. In this case, I know what he's said because of my friend. He claims to not remember what happened due to a blackout after he saw the demon and it spoke to him. This is a guy who had no other criminal history, was from a loving family, and was fixing HVAC at my friend's home the day before the murder. My friend says she sees him change in front of her when she goes to see him Very creepy.

Unless I'm missing something, sounds like the psychiatrics declared him mentally ill while discounting the possession claim. Did the psych eval acknowledge the possibility, even existence, of possession?

Unless I'm missing something, sounds like the psychiatrics declared him mentally ill while discounting the possession claim. Did the psych eval acknowledge the possibility, even existence, of possession?
According to what I heard, there were 3 psychs, one of which did give credit to it, but that was not presented in court. It was presented as the voices he heard were "evil" and what he saw looked "demonic", but a possession was not in the discussion or presentation from what my friend told me. She is Catholic and believes he is possessed. He is not Catholic but does claim he is. I know at one point he asked to be put to death so it would either drag him to hell or let go of him.

According to what I heard, there were 3 psychs, one of which did give credit to it, but that was not presented in court. It was presented as the voices he heard were "evil" and what he saw looked "demonic", but a possession was not in the discussion or presentation from what my friend told me. She is Catholic and believes he is possessed. He is not Catholic but does claim he is. I know at one point he asked to be put to death so it would either drag him to hell or let go of him.

I see now. Don't know if he was possessed or not, but doesn't sound like his defense team was able to even present his case/claim of possession on anything other than his say so.

I see now. Don't know if he was possessed or not, but doesn't sound like his defense team was able to even present his case/claim of possession on anything other than his say so.
I'm not sure you could even with a priest. Is it even a legal defense to put forth? I don't think it's even recognized by the court. And how does one prove a possession? Prosecute a demon? Is the possessed person considered not guilty if so proven to be a demon's work? Complex!

I'm not sure you could even with a priest. Is it even a legal defense to put forth? I don't think it's even recognized by the court. And how does one prove a possession? Prosecute a demon? Is the possessed person considered not guilty if so proven to be a demon's work? Complex!

Fair questions. A priest is no different than any other witness, however. It should be up to the jury to decide if they believe him. Proving crazy to a jury would seem to be no more doable than possesion, doctors give opinions based on their examination, experience and training, same as would a priest. All the defense has to do, at least in theory, is present reasonable doubt to a jury, not prove possession.

My guess is most lawyers would advise their clients to take the mental illness diagnosis to save their lives, would probably take a devout attorney to press forward with the possession defense at that point.

Reactions: Debi
Fair questions. A priest is no different than any other witness, however. It should be up to the jury to decide if they believe him. Proving crazy to a jury would seem to be no more doable than possesion, doctors give opinions based on their examination, experience and training, same as would a priest. All the defense has to do, at least in theory, is present reasonable doubt to a jury, not prove possession.

My guess is most lawyers would advise their clients to take the mental illness diagnosis to save their lives, would probably take a devout attorney to press forward with the possession defense at that point.
You'd also have to find jury members that would even accept that it's possible to be possessed. Many who are athiest may say not valid. You'd be taking a huge chance.

Reactions: Charleh and Duke
Sounds to me like she had a serious mental break they have been known to cause irrational actions such a sad story

Reactions: Debi
Sounds to me like she had a serious mental break they have been known to cause irrational actions such a sad story
I always wonder when a break occurs that quickly. It's like a switch got flipped.

Reactions: Aces
The very strange thing in the case of Michael Dean is the fact that facial changes have been seen. It's almost tlike his face morphs, per my friend.