Woman flees demons

The bottom line appears to be who believes the defendant is possessed. If it's the defendant, then that's a potential insanity issue. On the other hand, the jury may believe a claim of possession but may not be permitted to consider it as part of their deliberations and ultimate decision. Still seems disingenuous to me to allow the opinions of a psychiatrist, based on his training and experience, to be presented to the court, but not the opinions of a priest basedon his training and experience.
One is medical, which they consider to be a hard science or provable science, and the other is considered "religion", which, as always, is not considered science therefore not valid in the eyes of the court.

Reactions: Aces
One is medical, which they consider to be a hard science or provable science, and the other is considered "religion", which, as always, is not considered science therefore not valid in the eyes of the court.
mental illness is proven where possession/demons is not, how can you say demons exist for one religion but not for those systems that don't believe in such....that would be validating one belief over another, opening up a whole new can of worms legally.

Last edited:

I get the premise, but clearly psychiatry is one of, if not the least, "hard science" of all the medical specialties. I mean, it's not like an orthopedic doc who can present an x-ray or an oncologist who can present a biopsy result. Psychiatrists give opinions more than present provable facts. I'd wager they are also the least trusted medical doctors among the public in general, if true an important point considering the general public makes up juries.

I do understand the big picture. I mean, if you accept the possession defense, what's next, the alien abduction or "I fell through a portal defense"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
I get the premise, but clearly psychiatry is one of, if not the least, "hard science" of all the medical specialties. I mean, it's not like an orthopedic doc who can present an x-ray or an oncologist who can present a biopsy result. Psychiatrists give opinions more than present provable facts. I'd wager they are also the least trusted medical doctors among the public in general, if true an important point considering the general public makes up juries.

I do understand the big picture. I mean, if you accept the possession defense, what's next, the alien abduction or "I fell through a portal defense"?
I like the "fell through a protal" defense, actually. lol

Seriously, the "art" of psychiatry is as diverse as the type of paintings in actual art. It's all up to the interpretation of the practitioner. Yes, there are certain concepts and the diagnosis guidelines that stay pretty much the same, but there are different schools of thought and each psych "sees" and interprets things through different lenses and schools of thought. And exact science it is not.

Reactions: Duke
Is there more to the story than what's given in the article/video? Don't see anything about his defense claiming possession as the cause for his crime.
well, I read somewhere online about this case that he died because he chewed his hand off to get free and they did talk about possession but he never made it to trial it's a creepy true story an old member here on the forum told me about I researched it a few years ago the guy was very creepy and I had to stop reading about it but the guy who told me the story had encountered him a few times at the emergency room when "Pazzuzu" as he was called would go in for drug withdrawals the person that gave me the story was a male nurse for that hospital.

If you dig for info on the story you will find some evidence that confirms the police believing he was possessed.

Reactions: Duke