Witch bottle

Witch Bottles originally were used as a counter-ritual to witchcraft or evil spells. It was supposed to keep the evil witches away and work against their spells and was often tucked away in the walls or foundation of a house.

Now, they are used by Wiccans and Witches as spells to keep evil away. (Most Wiccans and Witches are involved in White Light and not evil/darkness.) Except instead of filling them with urine and teeth (and other yucky stuff) things like herbs, crystals and other positive items are in them. You can bury them, hang them, or simply sit them on a shelf.

As with all things of magic, it's the intention that manifests the "magic". If intentions are good, that is what will manifest.

Witch Bottles originally were used as a counter-ritual to witchcraft or evil spells. It was supposed to keep the evil witches away and work against their spells and was often tucked away in the walls or foundation of a house.

Now, they are used by Wiccans and Witches as spells to keep evil away. (Most Wiccans and Witches are involved in White Light and not evil/darkness.) Except instead of filling them with urine and teeth (and other yucky stuff) things like herbs, crystals and other positive items are in them. You can bury them, hang them, or simply sit them on a shelf.

As with all things of magic, it's the intention that manifests the "magic". If intentions are good, that is what will manifest.
Thanks for explaining this Debi.

Reactions: Debi
those are a big thing in the south. and as Debi stated, are usually found in the walls or buried at the far corners of the property. bottle trees are another common practice, though now for decoration more than actual practice.
EDITED TO ADD, Good explanation Debi, dont find many ppl anymore who know what they are or for.

Reactions: Paintman
those are a big thing in the south. and as Debi stated, are usually found in the walls or buried at the far corners of the property. bottle trees are another common practice, though now for decoration more than actual practice.
EDITED TO ADD, Good explanation Debi, dont find many ppl anymore who know what they are or for.

Thanks, Paul. I've studied magic and it's lore for a lot of years...lol My brain is full of strange and mystical trivia. I get excited to pass on the info!

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm
We don't have a witch bottle but we do have an ugly lucky urn. My great grandparents and my grandparents have both lost a house to a tornado. In both cases, it just tore the house down to the ground and hauled most of it off. After it was all done there was an odd thing. All that was left of both houses was a piano with these two ugly urns on top. It didn't even take the sheet music off of the piano but did take the bench. I have one in my living room but if I saw a tornado coming I might grab it and hide in a closet with that ugly urn and my family. Hey, it couldn't hurt...

I dont think they work the way they are described today. Try it and see. The said oak island treasure is guarded by something that keeps the treasure hunters always confused or electrical problems. Obviously something spiritual but when they looked into the lore that surrounds protected spaces it almost always involves the taking of energy from one being and using it to accomplish something. The fact that some objects carry almost magical energy is well known. Finding one that actually works for you is the hard part. The best way to see if something works is to do it yourself if it is safe to do and cannot harm others. I think IMO witch bottles are bogus but thats my opinion only.

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul. I've studied magic and it's lore for a lot of years...lol My brain is full of strange and mystical trivia. I get excited to pass on the info!

I have picked up a few things over the years concerning the old practices such as this, along with herbs, wood, metals, etc..... i like learning this stuff, the roots or basice, the old ways. im not a witch or practitioner but find the subject interesting. i did not know though that wiccans still learned or used this...

Last edited:
I have picked up a few things over the years concerning the old practices such as this, along with herbs, wood, metals, etc..... i like learning this stuff, the roots or basice, the old ways. im not a witch or practitioner but find the subject interesting. i did not know though that wiccans still learned or used this...
You know how everything "morphs" over time yet is also connected to other magical lore? Think about the gri gri bag, or even the mojeuax (mojo) bag as talisman/charms. Even the Native American Medicine bag. The idea of the Witch Bottle works on the same premise. You put things in it to either draw something to you or defend against energy unwanted.

Sometimes in the past they were used to actually attract and supposedly "trap" negative spirits and energy before they could enter a home instead of "repel". Once again, intention involved in how they were to work.

Modern witches and Wiccans do use them and know how to create them, although the more positive contents are used within them.

Yes agreed i do believe it used for many things just being a vessel a place to focus comes down to intent as many things in this realm , if im correct i believe there is something about a baby shoe giving you protection has to be from a child you loved i can be wrong but things rattle around in my head comes out in pieces at time .

Reactions: Paintman