Winchester Mystery House Virtual Tour

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Winchester Mystery House offers free virtual tour - Unexplained Mysteries

Anyone self-isolating due to the coronavirus pandemic can now explore the mansion's mysteries from home.
One of San Jose's most popular tourist attractions, the enigmatic mansion has 161 rooms, 40 staircases ( some of which leading to nowhere ), 10,000 windows and 2,000 doors.

Constructed in 1884 and owned by Sarah Winchester - the widow of gun magnate William Wirt Winchester - the building is said to be haunted by the ghosts of those killed by Winchester rifles.

Its interior is as lavish as it is bizarre, with a peculiar room layout, doors leading to solid walls, windows on the walls of inside rooms, a large bell which is rung every Friday 13th and multiple 'decoy' rooms that Winchester used in an effort to fool the spirits she believed resided there.

Sadly, like most tourist attractions, the Winchester Mystery House has had to close its doors for the time being due to the coronavirus crisis, however that doesn't mean that you can't still see inside.

From now until April 7th, prospective visitors can watch a free virtual tour of the house on the official website as well as purchase discounted ticket vouchers for when it finally re-opens.

"For nearly 100 years, passionate caretakers and skilled craftsmen have looked after Sarah's mansion and offered informative tours in order to share her amazing story," said Winchester Mystery House General Manager Walter Magnuson.

"We depend on our guests to help us continue her legacy and keep the history and intrigue of the house alive."

You can check out the virtual tour - here.

I toured the Winchester Mystery House back in 2006. What was odd was I became very nauseous as the tour progressed. Unfortunately, I used a large planter on the second floor for a purpose for which it was never designed. Felt fine going in, and later in the day flew home with no nausea or other discomfort. When I apologized to one of the docents, she was very understanding and told me it was not uncommon for visitors to get physically ill during the tours.

I tried the link and it takes you to a place to buy a ticket. I did not find a virtual tour as they stare. I even tried it from the site.