Who was Best?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
179601501_4760225294039498_7906172965130636467_n.jpg

Carson, by far.

The Tonight Show used to be 90 minutes long. Carson cut it to 60 minutes late in his career, claiming he was too old to do 90 minutes every night. Leno never returned it to 90 minutes.

Leno was funny but you could only take so much of him. I'd rather talk to him about cars than listen to his jokes.

I watched all of them at least a few times, but Carson, hands down the best. His timing was perfect.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Cavett's shows were different than those of the other three, more intellectual and thought provoking. I still remember his interviews with Groucho Marx and Mohammed Ali.
I think Cavett was a writer for Carson early in his Tonight Show tenure.

Cavett's shows were different than those of the other three, more intellectual and thought provoking. I still remember his interviews with Groucho Marx and Mohammed Ali.
I think Cavett was a writer for Carson early in his Tonight Show tenure.
Yes, I think he was. I can remember Johnny mentioning that on the show. Even if I wasn't staying up for the entire show, it was essential to listen in to the monologue. Water cooler talk the next day...lol

Graham Norton or Johnathan Ross (although the latter is more dubious after his faux pas regarding Russell Brand's radio show and Andrew Sach's grandaughter...). Oh, and Dame Edna back in the day! She was fabulous!