Who should we believe?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

We hear many tales like this one which makes us ask, who do we believe? I always try to keep an open mind, but I add a generous shake from the salt shaker.

He comes off as very credible if this is the guy I’ve heard in the past. We’ve heard other whistleblowers mention the EBE book too. I don’t really know what to believe. I wonder if he would take a lie detector test ?

Many of these guys sound great to those with no military or technical background. They tend to trip themselves up talking about security clearances/requirements, ironically the same issues that are used to catch "stolen valor" wanna be war heroes, and technical details.

Two things to look for are 1) anyone telling you their level of security clearance to prove they worked classified programs or performed classified missions, and 2) they got classified medals/awards for their work. Those are dead giveaways the individual is a phony.

I had a close friend who was a Vietnam era veteran of the US Army, went to the DMZ in Korea rather than Vietnam. He went to school on the GI Bill and became a newspaper man. He became a licensed private investigator after retiring from the paper. For the last few years of his life he worked unofficially for the VFW identifying/outing stolen valor sleezeballs. I learned a lot from him, but sadly he died several years back.

Many of these guys sound great to those with no military or technical background. They tend to trip themselves up talking about security clearances/requirements, ironically the same issues that are used to catch "stolen valor" wanna be war heroes, and technical details.

Two things to look for are 1) anyone telling you their level of security clearance to prove they worked classified programs or performed classified missions, and 2) they got classified medals/awards for their work. Those are dead giveaways the individual is a phony.

I had a close friend who was a Vietnam era veteran of the US Army, went to the DMZ in Korea rather than Vietnam. He went to school on the GI Bill and became a newspaper man. He became a licensed private investigator after retiring from the paper. For the last few years of his life he worked unofficially for the VFW identifying/outing stolen valor sleezeballs. I learned a lot from him, but sadly he died several years back.
I dont understand how someone can make up so much detail about a supposed life. What I have learned is they usually are lonely and can safely make up stories because no one is there to confront them about their tales. They usually dissapear after telling their tales and cant be heard from again. Linda Howe who I truly admire and think a lot of has more than a few whistle blowers on her show that seem very credible.

admitting you have a security clearance can be a breach itself .

Reactions: Duke

agree, anytime someone brings up military experience or security clearance is to me a red flag and i have a hard time believing anything they say afterwards. the guys who commit stolen valor almost always give themselves away within a few sentences to anyone who has been there. they either make unit mistakes, or just not knowing the "call and response" type traditions that most teams will have. there are a couple common phrases i will use to weed out anyone who claims RANGER or LRS history. greetings, small habits that just stick with you, common things that give ppl away that they would never consider. i guess claiming military or gov. involvement makes ppl fall over their stories in the paranormal world but yeah, ppl who have been there will almost always question them when they make the smallest mistake. ive never really cared who stretched the truth about their military tales, if they were actually there, but the stolen valor guys, (those who are trying to profit from their lies) do piss me off.

Reactions: Duke
I dont understand how someone can make up so much detail about a supposed life. What I have learned is they usually are lonely and can safely make up stories because no one is there to confront them about their tales. They usually dissapear after telling their tales and cant be heard from again. Linda Howe who I truly admire and think a lot of has more than a few whistle blowers on her show that seem very credible.
Knowing how or why people are telling me a bold face like doesn't mean much to me, it's enough to know they are lying. That said, I'm sure there are countless papers on the phenomena. I remember the friend I mentioned previously shared a paper written on stolen valor written by a VA psychologist.

It isn't enough to simply confront/challenge people like this, it has to be done by someone with knowledge/experience in the area under discussion. I can understand people with no background thinking these people sound credible. I read posts here all the time about ghosts, hauntings, etc., that I take at face value, only to have Debi and others peg them as BS almost immediately. I try to post/comment only on things I know about.

Reactions: Lynne

Thanks for the insight Duke. I’m a sucker for a man in a uniform.

Knowing how or why people are telling me a bold face like doesn't mean much to me, it's enough to know they are lying. That said, I'm sure there are countless papers on the phenomena. I remember the friend I mentioned previously shared a paper written on stolen valor written by a VA psychologist.

It isn't enough to simply confront/challenge people like this, it has to be done by someone with knowledge/experience in the area under discussion. I can understand people with no background thinking these people sound credible. I read posts here all the time about ghosts, hauntings, etc., that I take at face value, only to have Debi and others peg them as BS almost immediately. I try to post/comment only on things I know about.
No worries , post away. We sort it all out tog.