Who owns it?

I think with most wrecks, it should be left alone. It should be treated as a tribute not property. Amazing they were able to survive that ordeal.

Last edited:
Maritime salvage rights in international law can be a moving target. From what I've read, about the only absolute in law is the sanctity of designated war graves on sunken ships. Sadly, even that is not being observed, and no nation has police or naval forces to spare to provide for the protection of these war graves.

Reactions: Selectric
I don’t understand why the ships shouldn’t be salvaged for what is valuable. Surely the water will erode them away anyway. I thought that stuff found at sea could be claimed by the salvager? This was so confusing.

Reactions: Selectric
I don’t understand why the ships shouldn’t be salvaged for what is valuable. Surely the water will erode them away anyway. I thought that stuff found at sea could be claimed by the salvager? This was so confusing.
If i read about this wreck correctly, everything of 'use' then was removed from ship before it finally went down. There was no treasure etc. Being in the Antarctic, the cold water has preserved this wreck nicely. I guess i am still under the assumption that once the 'sea claims' it...leave it. Treasure ships, of course people/countries want to claim/reclaim...but something like the Endeavor, should be treated as history and not property. Some things should be left alone.