Where have you been?

That’s an amazing testimony!! Evidence of life after death. I’m glad the Priest handled it so well.

I believe this is the first time I've ever told that story in a public setting, but since you asked if I'd seen a ghost, I wanted to be honest. The open mindedness of the parish priest, an ordinarily stern old German, still astounds me to this day. Going to confession with him didn't seem quite so intimidating after that.

Ooh, Duke! That's a wonderful story. I bet he was just checking in to see how the family was coming along.

Places I've Been: (in no particular order)

Whaley House in San Diego
LaLaurie House in New Orleans- You can't go inside anymore, but what I felt was (very sick and scared!) on the sidewalk outside.
Winchester Mystery House
Coronado Hotel, San Diego
Been to a host of places in Scotland & England as well, including Mary King's Close in Edinburgh, but the weekend doing haunted places in Edinburgh I had a nasty concussion and can't trust any of my memories of that time.

Not much on my list of places I want to go. There's some Native American sites that I would like to visit as part of my research into what I've been calling "Native American Fae", but as a white woman I don't want to go sticking my nose where it doesn't belong!

Why he visited, as well as why he stopped, has fascinated me for almost fifty years. The few people I've shared the story with have offered interesting theories, but I'm still puzzled. A Baptist pastor friend of mine proposed the most satisfying conjecture, simply that whatever his reason was orginally, he was apparently at peace now.

The Edinburgh ghost tour, including the King Mary's Close, was one of those Mrs Duke and I have taken. The Close was so dusty and grimy Mrs Duke had a difficult time breathing and couldn't wait to get out. I thought that part of the tour was a bit hokey, I suspect one our fellow tourists was a plant who faked being in terror. I hope acting was not her day job.

I believe this is the first time I've ever told that story in a public setting, but since you asked if I'd seen a ghost, I wanted to be honest. The open mindedness of the parish priest, an ordinarily stern old German, still astounds me to this day. Going to confession with him didn't seem quite so intimidating after that.
He handled it well, a great response.

Reactions: Duke
Why he visited, as well as why he stopped, has fascinated me for almost fifty years. The few people I've shared the story with have offered interesting theories, but I'm still puzzled. A Baptist pastor friend of mine proposed the most satisfying conjecture, simply that whatever his reason was orginally, he was apparently at peace now.

The Edinburgh ghost tour, including the King Mary's Close, was one of those Mrs Duke and I have taken. The Close was so dusty and grimy Mrs Duke had a difficult time breathing and couldn't wait to get out. I thought that part of the tour was a bit hokey, I suspect one our fellow tourists was a plant who faked being in terror. I hope acting was not her day job.
I’m sure your grandpa just wanted to see you. When you acknowledged him he could move on.

I’m honored you shared this story. Thank you.

Reactions: 7Critter and Duke
I’m sure your grandpa just wanted to see you. When you acknowledged him he could move on.

Ok, but why me? He was dead long before any of his grandchildren were born, a total of ten of us. None of my cousins had, or at least admitted to have had, similar experiences.

Ok, but why me? He was dead long before any of his grandchildren were born, a total of ten of us. None of my cousins had, or at least admitted to have had, similar experiences.
Why not? You may have the clearest spirit and more open mind to see him.

Reactions: Lynne and Duke
Why not? You may have the clearest spirit and more open mind to see him.

Hmm...meaning he may have visited the others but they didn't see him? Must admit, I never considered that possibility.

The irony of this is I was told from an early age I reminded many of my Dad's family of his father. Thankfully I did get to know and spend time with him, he lived into his early 90s.

My apologies to L.S., I didn't mean to hijack his topic and make it about me. So to get us back on track, I'll add having visited the Winchester Mystery House and Queen Mary as well.

Reactions: Debi