Where do you get your pets?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

330432487_601578898456748_2796037133591421862_n.jpg

Out of the over 30 pets (Cats/Dogs) we've had over the years, only 4 were bought from breeders, 5 were rescued or re-homed from people we knew, and all the rest somehow came to us through shelters or fostering.

Several states are now banning pet stores from selling dogs and cats, and I actually think that is a great call. So many of those pups come from puppy mills with truly bad inbreeding. Rescue and adoption is the way to go for me.

Most of the dogs I've had were gifted to me by hunters as they want their dogs to go to working homes as the first priority. I've only bought the odd one off these people who just breed for themselves. All my cats I've had were dumped kittens, my most famous one is Highway, I rescued her from the middle of one. She will be 19 this year. Her two protectors that she slept with in their kennel with have passed now.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
My dog Thor is a black seal Pit Bull, a family members breeds them for dog shows
So I was given one as a gift, had to find him a good home as I could not take him with, when I had to move. His new owner is good to him and sends me videos all the time. New owner loved that Thor was a;ready trained :)
The Picture is when I first got him
Thor.jpg

My dog Thor is a black seal Pit Bull, a family members breeds them for dog shows
So I was given one as a gift, had to find him a good home as I could not take him with, when I had to move. His new owner is good to him and sends me videos all the time. New owner loved that Thor was a;ready trained :)
The Picture is when I first got him
View attachment 46048
That is heartbreaking Ragnar, I have never had to part with a beloved pet other than death. I am so sorry that happened to you. I am happy he got a good home and that you keep in touch. Hopefully you will be able to have a dog for the baby one day.

I have always had rescues. My present dog Lola is the only one I have ever bought from a breeder. She has more health issues than any of the mutts I've had.

That is heartbreaking Ragnar, I have never had to part with a beloved pet other than death. I am so sorry that happened to you. I am happy he got a good home and that you keep in touch. Hopefully you will be able to have a dog for the baby one day.

I have always had rescues. My present dog Lola is the only one I have ever bought from a breeder. She has more health issues than any of the mutts I've had.
Thank you, was the first time I had to separate from my animal. Had a malamute husky/timber wolf/ lab with my other kids. Buddy lived til he was 18 yrs....
I do plan on getting a pup for my Princess :D

Ragnar, I had a sheltie collie muttmix named Thor !
Sorry to hear about giving him up.
Reggie was a Heinz 57 puppy. I found her one super cold February day in a bad neighbor hood in Gary Indiana. An older lady took care of the dog but it pretty much lived outside in a vacant lot filled with junk. Reggie warmed up to me and the lady said that dog loves you and you can take him home. She called the dog ' Ugly '.
That name was not going to sit well so I was on Jackson street not too far from where the Jackson 5 grew up. Reggie Jackson was my favorite baseball player from the late seventies...

And when I got to the veterinarian the next day I found out that Reggie was a girl.
( I'm not very good at determining when animals are boys or girls. 50/50 chance, and I'm 0-10.)
Reggie was so sweet, and Shadow T. Cat's best friend.