When I Grow Up......

I wanted to be an astronomer since I could remember, those wee sparkly dots in the night sky had me hooked. Got my degree but never worked in the discipline getting side tracked into a different research area involving math and physics. Despite a foray into music I settled on an IT career which I've been very happy doing for over thirty years.

So, in short I've never had a job just a hobby I get paid to do :D

Earliest memory of such things was when I was in fifth grade. My three interests were airplanes, military history, and Catholicism; so I either wanted to work on airplanes, teach or write history, or be a priest. I gave up on the priesthood in early high school, much to my Mom's disappointment. As a junior in high school I had an English composition teacher who tried to convince me (and my parents) that I should become a writer (and major in English), but even then I realized that would be a tough way to make a living. All the while my Dad, an aircraft mechanic for the USAF, had been/was subtly pointing me in the direction of aerospace engineering. Forty five years later, I'm a retired aero engineer who, late in life, began writing articles for aviation/military history magazines.

Last edited:
I wanted to be a stuntman! Jumping off buildings, crashing cars, explosions; what job could possibly be more fun and exciting than that? Having grown up in Southern California I actually knew people who were professional stuntmen. One guy I knew also did pyrotechnics and effects makeup. He had no problems taking me in as an assistant/apprentice in order to help jumpstart such a career.

I also had the opportunity to intern at an actual Hollywood TV studio, though granted it wasn't a very big or well known studio. In fact it was a brand new studio still trying to make a name for itself. While it did have a few successful TV shows nobody really expected Fox Broadcasting to ever amount to much.

However there is one big drawback to this kind of career, you have to live where the work is and that's in and around Los Angeles and Hollywood. Having grown up in that area I can confidently say that you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I left California at 18 and don't ever want to live there again.
What did you end up doing ?

I wanted to be an astronomer since I could remember, those wee sparkly dots in the night sky had me hooked. Got my degree but never worked in the discipline getting side tracked into a different research area involving math and physics. Despite a foray into music I settled on an IT career which I've been very happy doing for over thirty years.

So, in short I've never had a job just a hobby I get paid to do :D
What a grand way to live !

Earliest memory of such things was when I was in fifth grade. My three interests were airplanes, military history, and Catholicism; so I either wanted to work on airplanes, teach or write history, or be a priest. I gave up on the priesthood in early high school, much to my Mom's disappointment. As a junior in high school I had an English composition teacher who tried to convince me (and my parents) that I should become a writer (and major in English), but even then I realized that would be a tough way to make a living. All the while my Dad, an aircraft mechanic for the USAF, had been/was subtly pointing me in the direction of aerospace engineering. Forty five years later, I'm a retired aero engineer who, late in life, began writing articles for aviation/military history magazines.
Sounds like a brilliant carrier. I would love to read some of your articles.

As a baby/kid I was a bit crook so just growing to adulthood was my aim.I always dreamed of living off the land and being a Daniel Boon type character.Living in the city I became a Greenkeeper,the closest job to nature there.I'm finally living the semi feral existence I always wanted but I do miss the city,I have concrete in my veins.