What's the Difference Between......

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
I heard a radio show guest, a social worker of some type, discussing the impact of the COVID epidemic on mental health. In response to a caller's question, she made a statement that really struck me. She said, "There's a difference between your brain and your mind."

I'm curious how folks here would explain that difference.

Reactions: Selectric
I heard a radio show guest, a social worker of some type, discussing the impact of the COVID epidemic on mental health. In response to a caller's question, she made a statement that really struck me. She said, "There's a difference between your brain and your mind."

The brain is an organ that cannot be consciously controlled. Just like your lungs or heart, it has it's own chemistry that can be impacted by medications in some situations.

Your mind is your soul. It is the consciousness that is you and is under your conscious control. You can make decisions and influence it.

In many mental health situations, it's a chemistry thing. However, in some cases of depression, it's a mindset. It's how you decide to view and deal with the world. In Covid, many people are angry, scared, lonely, etc., and feel a loss of control. That is not chemical imbalance, but a mind response to a situation.

Your brain is the meat part, full of chemicals and electrical impulses. Your mind is what you think, how you think, you can change it by changing your habits of thought. You can change your brain chemistry but that does not change the way you think.

The brain is the physical organ in the head the mind is what makes that brain important past handling the autonomic actions of your body. Without the mind the body is just an animal basically that is ruled by reflex and instinct. Some people that are profoundly retarded are like that and basically just human-shaped not very intelligent animals. They eat, sleep and have preferences dealing with comfort but that is about it.

Your brain is what makes your body function and is stuck in the physical. Your mind is our free spirit and can leave the body and return or leave it behind forever when the body is finished.

Covid has created such a panic in the world. So, i guess any programmed thoughts (media..conversations..etc) would be stored in the brain part of that. Your mind takes all that data and you make your own conclusions with all your brain accumulates.

Reactions: ozentity and Lynne
Your brain is what makes your body function and is stuck in the physical. Your mind is our free spirit and can leave the body and return or leave it behind forever when the body is finished.
Excellent! I too believe in non local consciousness.